Power fluctuations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Ab, Jun 20, 2002.

  1. Ryan Ab

    Ryan Ab Extra

    Jan 6, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I live near the end of the line of my utility and if any thing happens upstream..... The power here fluctuates alot, we've hooked up a meter to an outlet and watched it dip to 110volts and back up again.

    I have a nice surge protector on my system, but I was wondering if that was enough for my situation. I have a battery back-up ups for my computer and I was thinking about using another one for my HT system. That would prevent damage that would occur when the power goes off for just a second or two and comes back on.

    Are there any other considerations I should make?

  2. Bill Kane

    Bill Kane Screenwriter

    Feb 5, 2001
    Likes Received:
    There are several ways to look at power sags and/or brownouts. One can throw money at aftermarket devices, or try to reach the big, faceless utility to force them to provide the constant voltage you deserve!! I realize in real-world power delivery systems, this may not be absolutely possible.
    There are large UPS units but those that produce a true or pure sine wave necessary for A/V electronics usually don't come under $1,000.
    On the consumer market, there are isolation transformers. Monster AVS5000 is a voltage regulator working in the 80 to 140V range. It costs ~ $1,150. It also has a neat ammeter to show how much current the system is using at any one time.
    TrippLite has a more barebones "line conditioner" that seems to do the same voltage regulation in TrippLite LCR2400 for ~ $350 HERE
    I have not needed to use either unit, thank goodness. Living in California, at least last year, we had to get used to the prospect of rolling brownouts at any time. Given sufficient warning, the wisest thing then wud be unplugging everything beforehand. But it never came to pass (fingers crossed).
    These two units are not surge protectors, so to protect against "transients," or catastrophic spikes/surges, one still would use an appropriate UL 1449-listed surge suppressor. HERE is an explainer.
    IMHO, your utility ought to install such a voltage regulator to feed your main service panel.

Share This Page