What's new

Power filter for Outlaw 770? (1 Viewer)

Robin Casady

Agent
I just ordered an Outlaw 770 to use with a Denon 3802 while I wait for my name to come up on the 950 list. I see that the 770 is rated at 1800 watts. Currently, my entire system* is running off of a Monster PowerCenter HTS2000 that has a maximum rating of 1875 watts.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a line filter for the 770. I assume that it is a good idea to use a filter for the amp?

*My system consists of :

Toshiba TW40X81 HDTV

Denon 3802

Toshiba 9100 DVD player

Malata DVD player

Sony LD player

Sony CD changer

NHT 2.5i mains

NHT AudioCenter2

4 NHT 1.5 surrounds

NHT AudioCenter1 (rear)

Velodyne F-1000-B (to be replaced by an SVS PC+ when available)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you want a balanced power version of that same idea maybe you should try PS Audio's Ultimate Outlet High Current 20 amp model?

A bit more pricey than the Panamax, but less that many other balanced 60/60 volt line cleaning products and it has no power clamping so the amp gets a full charge when it really gets cranking at high volumes. Stereophile magazine recommends them.

Dan

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Sticking with the baseline of surge suppression and do-no-harm to current limiting, I am gravitating to an upstream Brickwall high-current model with one of the unit's two outlets for my new amp and my existing Belkin multi-outlet surge protector plugged into the second.
I recently got an 1800VA(watt) 200x5 amp and plug it directly into the wall plate per manufacturer's advice. That does leave leave some exposure to MAJOR surge and backdoor leakage into my Yamaha AVR used as pre/pro.
I now am eyeing Link Removed for my high current amp. It's $199. Brickwall says its rated 20amp but can be used in a 15amp circuit.
Note that this is Brickwall's AUDIO application. There is another unit at $139 for more general surge protection.

I like Bill Kane's solution. I ordered a Brickwall yesterday based on several days research.

Brickwalls do not rely on MOV's for surge protection, whose surge protection capabilities degrade over time.

Another surge protection product I really liked was Transtector, another non MOV based solution, although it is a pure surge protector, lacking any line filtering at all.

Regards - Gene

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
PS Audio Ultimate Outlets don't use MOVs either. However, I do like the fact that they provide pro-grade balanced power for a reasonable price.

Dan

Dan - I think you have your PS Audio products confused. The Ultimate Outlets are a great product. I have three of them. But they do employ MOV's as the barrier to surges.
Further, they do not provide balanced power. Only the P series (300, 600, 1200) units do the balanced power thing.
Check here for details.
Regards - Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks