Power DVD XP 4.0 can't play the 2nd disk of Tron AE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Galvin, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Galvin

Galvin Agent

Tron Anniversary Eddition has a second dvd. It starts to play fine shows the logo and then the screen goes blank, and the DVD drive stops spinning. I have never had problems playing DVD disks before on my computer ever. I'm using a Toshiba Combo drive SD-R1002 with 1840 firmware.

The first DVD I didn't watch the whole thing but it seems to work fine. Unfortunatly I don't have the recept of where I bought it from, hope I am not screwed here.

2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I am able to play the second Tron disc on my system using the same software without incident. Perhaps your disc is dirty/scratched/folded/spindled/mutilated/inserted upside-down? PowerDVD 3.0 and older have always caused lock-up and GPF problems with many animated menus, and although PowerDVD 4.0 XP seems more stable it does occasionally give me some grief. Try turning off "Play automatically upon inserting disc" and anything else that seems like a likely suspect for weird problems, such as automatic resolution-switching. Also try disabling funny little background applications, such as Anti-Virus and other such utilities that may interfere with the reading of an inserted disc.

3. Galvin

Galvin Agent

I done all that all antivirus stuff is disabled I use nortons Antivirus 2002, and I have all background stuff turned off for reasons such as the one you just mentioned.

This set is brandnew bought it yesterday if the dvd is scratched all the more reason to return it.

I have never had problems playing dvd's on powerDVD. I played the Starwars Episode 1 DVD set, both dvd's worked on it and that's fairly new as well.

Anyway to save my self time i'll just return this for a replace ment. thanks.

4. Galvin

Galvin Agent

I found out it's PowerDVD XP 4.0.

I went back to the store got another copy.

Tried it on PowerDVD same thing just played the logo then stopped.

Then I tried windows Mediaplayer that comes with Windows XP. It played fine without Dolby Digital. But it proved that PowerDVD is the problem. Suprised, PowerDVD has never given me problems before. Tron must be doing something special that PowerDVD can't handle is my guess.

The movie disc plays fine. But Mediaplayer sucks, I am not using that to view the DVD. heh.

5. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

It's the same with Terminator 2: UE. None of the discs play perfectly on PowerDVD, but i think it is due to the advanced authoring of the discs, they simply push the format to its limits... [​IMG]
    I'm quite happy my DVD player has never had any problems with *ANY* discs ever, except for defect ones of course...

6. Tom Sperling

Tom Sperling Auditioning

Both discs of Tron AE play perfectly for me in PowerDVD XP 4.

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Both Tron DVDs work on my copy of Power DVD XP 4.0.

8. Tom Sperling

Tom Sperling Auditioning

By 'Tron AE', I mean Tron Anniversary Edition.

9. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux
    Perhaps the Master Control Program (A.K.A. the evil Windows) is preventing your access, Program?

10. Galvin

Galvin Agent

Well I don't know how to fix this problem. I would say it's my DVD drive if all my other DVD's didn't work.

But how do you explain it working with Windows Mediaplayer and not with PowerDVD XP 4.0 which I paid $69.00 for.

If I have to replace my DVD drive then it becomes around a $200 problem.

So far I have been unable to find a solution. After trying 2 copies from one store and now another copy from a new store. That 3 copies from 2 stores total, all have the same problem.

The Drive is a Toshiba Combo drive SD-R1002 using Firmware 1840, it used to have older firmware so I upgraded it hoping that would resolve the problem.

11. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux
    There seem to be no obvious answers to problems such as these. What operating system are you using? Are you running the very latest video and sound drivers, etc.?

I run four different operating systems on the same PC. I have had the most problems with Power DVD XP 4.0 running under Windows NT Workstation and Server (no surprise there). I get the best performance and stability running under Windows XP and a bit less stability with Windows Me (with background processes such as Anti-Virus, BlackICE Defender, MemTurbo and everything else like this turned off).

Most of my animated menu lock-ups have occured in Windows NT. They have all been completely inexplicable.

12. Galvin

Galvin Agent

OS NameMicrosoft Windows XP Professional

Version5.1.2600 Build 2600

OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation

System NameM2001

System ManufacturerABIT

System Model6A69SA1B

System TypeX86-based PC

Processorx86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2209 Mhz

BIOS Version/DateAward Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 12/4/2001

SMBIOS Version2.2

Windows DirectoryC:WINDOWS

System DirectoryC:WINDOWSSystem32

Boot DeviceDeviceHarddiskVolume1

LocaleUnited States

Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"

User NameM2001Administrator

Time ZoneEastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory172.73 MB

Total Virtual Memory1.85 GB

Available Virtual Memory1.26 GB

Page File Space1.35 GB

Page FileS:pagefile.sys

===================================

I just find it strange I can play the movie DVD, but not the supplimental DVD.

Windows XP P4 2.2 512megs RDRAM

Nvidia 23.11 Drivers

SB Audidy with latest drivers.

13. Galvin

Galvin Agent

Well I found out the problem, seems the disc doesn't like dolby digital output turned on. If I unselect SPDIF out in the options in powerDVD XP 4.0, the supplimental DVD will play.

This is very odd though.

The supplimental DVD does say Dolby Digital on it. If you can try playing it with SPDIF out turned on let me know if it plays or not, thanks.

14. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux
    Now that's interesting. My "Audio Output" setting in PowerDVD is set to "4 Speakers."

-

As an aside, you may want to consider altering your pagefile settings. Currently, your pagefile is exceedingly large and can change size dynamically, resulting in file fragmentation and poor performance. Applications requesting more memory can lag your PC if the swap file is automatically expanding and contracting, to say nothing of the wasted disk space it's needlessly using.

Go into "My Computer" properties, "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" button under "Performance," click the "Advanced" tab on the next dialog box, click the "Change" button under "Virtual Memory," highlight your swap file and click "Custom size." Set both the initial size and the maximum size settings to Physical RAM + 12 MB (in your case, 524 MB). Reboot.

If you have Norton SystemWorks 2002, run Speed Disk so that it will move your swap file to the front of your hard disk for maximum file access performance.

15. Galvin

Galvin Agent

The Pagefile is on a seperate harddisk.
    It's a fixed size pagefile, this prevents fragmenting, I learned this in MCSE [​IMG]
    I found out the supplimental cd is dolby digital 2 tracks, so no wonder it wouldn't play with SPIDF on since it was expecting 5.1 tracks. Anyway I watched most of it last night.
    Thanks anyway.

16. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

SPIDF WILL WORK REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY CHANNELS WERE ENCODED. A SPIDF OUTPUT EXPECTS NOTHING BUT A BITSTREAM. YOUR LAST POST MADE NO SENSE AT ALL.

17. Galvin

Galvin Agent

Well that's PowerDVD does, I tested it my self.

If I switched from SPIDIF to 4 speakers it will play, switch back to SPIDIF out and it doesn't play.

How does that make no sense to you?

Every other DVD I have wether it's a suuplimental DVD hav 5.1 tracks except for the Tron supplimental DVD.

18. Craig Crane

...its just that your previous statement was flawed. A spidf out put expects nothing other than a digital bitstream. It does not give two hoots as to how many channels are encoded. 5.1, 6.1, 1.1, 2.0 etc etc etc

I was just highlighting an error in your post.

I can play the 2nd disc with no problems at all. You can find the HTPC spec on my homepage, if you wanna look.

Have you mentioned your soundcard? Maybe you might find the answer there. Try the HTPC forum both here and at the AVS. This is where you are more than likley to get an answer.

Craig

19. Galvin

Galvin Agent

So you can play the Suppilmental DVD with SPIDF turned on ?

Don't know what the sound card has to do with the DVD no playing.

20. Craig Crane

Yes, I can! It plays just fine. I think I had already mentioned that.

With regards to the sound card...I offered a suggestion, not a solution. HTPC has an uncanny knack of throwing all sorts of surprises at its owner. Seeing as that the problem may be soundcard related (spidf selected kills play etc etc etc), it would not hurt to mention what card you have. This might help someone with a similar setup being able to help you more.

Are you using any region software? Do you get the same results with Windvd?

Craig