Power Draw in Muted B&K Amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Henchey, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Brian Henchey

I have a Reference 7520, Series II hooked up to an unswitched outlet on my HT power center. The amp is connected to my receiver/pre-pro by a 12V trigger. Can anyone tell me if the amp is still drawing power in its "muted" state? According to the manual, the draw at idle is 100+W, but it's not clear if this means "idle and powered on" (e.g., red light is lit) or includes a muted amp (no red light, but still plugged into an unswitched outlet).

In the worst case if its pulling 100+ watts during nonuse, would it harm the amp to put it on a switched outlet and use the master power button of the power center to turn it on and off?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The power draw would be about the same at idle or muted. I leave my amp on all the time and here is my response from another thread in case you want to know the reasoning behind it[​IMG]

3. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brian,

I've got a B&K amp and I believe the idle specs are idle with no signal but not muted(red light on nothing playing). I just hooked my trigger up with a Radioshack 12v adapter and when the amp is muted it is at room temp. The people at B&K told me when the amp is muted its only drawing enough current to keep the capacitors charged up. When my amp is left on it gets pretty warm to the touch even with nothing playing through it. The tech people at B&K also told me it wouldnt hurt it to leave it on all the time as long as their is sufficient ventilation around it. If you want to ask B&K they are easy to get a hold of on the phone and very friendly.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Aha I was thinking muted meant no signal to the input which would be equivalent to idle. So if muted means plugged into an outlet but with the red light not on, how is it different from the amp turned off? I am a bit confused[​IMG]

5. Brian Henchey

Yogi,
    The B&K manual refers to the 12V trigger on/off function as "muting". Jason is correct above when he states that when the receiver or pre/pro signals the amp to "mute" (e.g., red light goes off), that the amp is room temperature to the touch. I'm not sure of the difference either between "muted", "off" or "idle" either.

Brian

6. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Yogi and Brian

From experimenting this is what I think the differences are.

Off-Red light is out power supply capacitors are discarged.
    Lights in house will flicker when power is returned.

Muted-Red light is out power supply capacitors are still
    charged. Lights do not flicker when you wake the
    amp up. Amp is at room temp.

Idle-Red light is On. Amp is fully on just no signal being
    Played through it. Amp is warm and at operating temp.

I guess the only advantage I can see in muting the amp is you dont have constant power going to your speakers even when youre not listening. And it also stops there from being the inrush of current Yogi was talking about. Muting obviously does nothing about temperature fluctuations since the amp cools all the way down and then heats back up when you unmute it.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Idle is on with no signal, "muted" is standby "off" is no power
    Dont put the amp on your switched outlet of your Pre.
    You can use a remote controled power strip to take it off standby and turn it "off".
    Like your TV never leave it unplugged, it is better left in standby, keeps a little heat in it. I left a Marantz 140 amp (circa 1974) on 24/7 for 9 years, still have the amp, it is retired now and it is in "backup" mode.