Power down to 110 volts :(

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joel~Solid, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Joel~Solid

Joel~Solid Agent

I currently have the Monster Power 3500 Power conditioner. In my house I generally have about 115-118volts. Lately mainly because of the central air conditioner my power is dipping down and stays at 109-110 volts. I know 120volts is ideal. So I'm I missing out on something by other getting 110 to my hometheater? I was planning on getting the Monster Power AVS2000 which will give me a constant rock solid 120volts. I can get the unit for MUCH less then retail but it is still expensive. Do you guys think it is worth it?

Joel

Onkyo 797 (using all Six Channels at a 6 ohm load)
    Dual SVS PB2+ 1800watts RMS

Those are the main power hogs [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes, in your case it's worth it.

Different people have different quality AC power. This is why some people see little/no change with a power conditioner. Others see/hear a dramatic improvement. You are in the latter case.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'm not so sure 110 volts (I'd certainly want to go out and get a multimeter and get my own readings independent of the Monster) is that bad. I think before I did that, I'd do a few things.
    Look at the requirements for my equipment insofar as AC voltage ranges go to determine what the manufacturer suggests are acceptable.

Contact my utility company and just get their take on this. Perhaps, if this AC was added 'after the fact', your incoming line needs to be upgraded.

Contact an electrician and also get his take.

If, and at this point in time it's an if, I think it pays to do a bit of legwork. A good idea, and give you something to do, would be to contact Monster and confirm their unit will indeed take an incoming 110 Volt and adjust it upwards.
    Keep in mind that if you've got a low voltage situation, then likely it's affecting everything in your home. A more prudent solution might be to tackle the problem closer to the source.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I work at a small utility. (I am an office jockey, not an engineer or a lineman.)

It's my understanding that 120 volts +/- 5% is acceptable voltage in the USA. That translates to + or - 6 volts. So you ARE outside the range utilities should be trying to achieve.

That said, are you harming anything? Maybe, maybe not. But as a general rule, I'd say no. It really comes down to the individual piece of equipment. Some things with motors don't like lower voltage. And I've seen a time or two where solid state equipment was particular about supply voltage.

Even with the best of planning, lower voltage conditions do occur from time to time. In my over 20+ years at the utility, I can't say I remember ever hearing much about customer problems at 110 volts. Thus my feeling that you're likely ok...

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I ran across something that utilities adhere to ANSI 4.1-1989 guidelines for steady voltage of 110 VAC to 126 VAC. That still doesn't successfully answer your particular situation as it may be that the utility is probably putting out something closer to 'nominal' and your AC is causing a voltage drop.