Power Cord Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, May 9, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

amp - krell kav-500

preamp - krell hts1

cd - krell kav-300cd

dvd - sony 9000es

2 HT PRO AC11 cords

which 2 devices should i put it on and why?

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I use HT PRO-AC11 also. I would put one on your amp & cd player. Your amp draws more current than your other components. It is also the muscle of your system and what feeds your speakers. IMO the amp is the most critical part of a system. Your cd player is your source compnent. I use the PRO-AC11 on my Sony SCD-777ES and the sound after about 100hrs of break in was incredible. Smnooth liquid highs (not rough or edgy as some digital playback systems) more soundstage definition and tighter more detailed bass notes. After you try what I recommended, move the cords to your preamp or dvd player and experiment. You will like your new sound though.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Jeff,

If you can manage it, here's what I recommend for fun:

Have a friend swap cords for you, trying out a single PRO-AC11. Plug it into the amp, listen, put the old cord back, listen, put the PRO-AC11 in again, listen, old cord again, listen. If your gear is accessible, this shouldn't be too bad to do (if you have an understanding friend). Use the same piece or two of music for each test. And just note which components seem to derive the most benefit (I found changing the cord on my Krell amp had the largest effect).

For more fun, blindfold yourself and have your friend just hook up a cord, not telling you which it is. Do four or five swaps, numbering them. Right down (can you do that blindfolded?) for each test if you hear a change or not and which cord you think it is. Have your friend write down which cord was used in each test.

Then compare notes. . .

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now that'd be interesting running a blind test and far more preferable to knowing in advance which cords are being tested. Assuming of course, that you don't buy into the concept that wires require break-in. If you do opt to use Mike's suggestion of a blinded test, would you be so kind as to post back here in the forum with the details of what happened?

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'd like to see the results of a blind test as well. It could be interesting.

Jeffrey and Hank,

How much does the HT PRO-AC11 run? I might upgrade the power cord on my '777ES someday.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

List prices from their web site range from 160-270. Harmonic makes an interesting claim:

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

HT PRO-AC11 cords are a fairly common item on Audiogon. They can often be picked up for around $100 or a bit more.

It seems a lot of folks start with a cord such as this. If they find to their ears it makes a difference, they often trade up to something fancier. Thus the cords on Audiogon.

8. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Or you could contact me because I have (3) 1 meter Harmonic Tech Pro AC11 power cords that I would sell for $110 each...which would include shipping! Any you wouln't have worry about a test.... [​IMG]
    Take Care
    Ron
    PS: I have been under the assumption that source components will benefit the most.

9. HankM

HankM Second Unit

$110 is a great price. I bought my PRO-11 from Music Direct for $145, it was a demo. Retail is $200 for 2m

10. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All,
    Thanks for the pricing info.
    Mike,
    I think the Bob Crump-designed cords on www.diycable.com fall into the starter category as well. I have been considering a $75 power cord from this web site.
    Ron,
    Thanks for the offer, but I am not ready to pull the trigger yet. I will need to do some research in this area. Power cords and cables are so difficult to deal with because there are so many options.
    By the way, I have also heard that front-end components benefit most from power cord upgrades.
    Jeffrey,
    I saw your question about the Sony SCD-777ES vs. the Krell KAV-300CD on the Audio/Video Sources board. At the time I replied there, I forgot that you had the Krell player already. Is there anything about it that you don't like?