Power cord extensions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Judah, Nov 15, 2002.

1. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I'm moving some equipment around and my power amp's cord(Sunfire Cinema Grand) is not long enough to reach the outlet anymore.

If I get a sturdy power cord extender, do you think there will be any appreciable loss?

Thanks,

DJ

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

nope.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

That's good enough for me.[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    DJ

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

David,

"nope" ?

I would seek another opinion, perhaps another user of the Sunfire CG. Perhaps you could ask an actual user who has encountered any appreciable loss in performance with adding another supply cord connection.
    I am amazed that you would simply accept four letters as anything other than 4 letters.
    Hey, it's your system..................

good luck

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Well, I was going to try it anyways(small investment of time and money), but I thought I would run it by my HTF brethren first.

My impression would be that it wouldn't make a difference, but I've been suprised before many times with this hobby.

We'll see...

DJ

6. Brian OK

David,

My concern would be a loss in transient response, as that power hungry amp could possibly be short-changed when bass hungry or simply dynamic passages occur in movies and music.
    Keep an ear out for sloppy bass notes and loss of HF
    detail. The amp may lose some control over your speakers drivers and a general fuzziness may be evident.
    Try it, see what happens. My .02

Good Luck,

BOK

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the amp does have capacitors doesn't it?

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I bought a Monster cable extension that is at least as thick as the Sunfire's cord and I'll be damned if I can hear a difference.
    Of course, I didn't perform a DBT and write a paper for peer review, but I feel pretty confident that my ears didn't steer me wrong in this case(I've been reading the $10k golden ears amp challenge in the receivers/seperates/amp forum[​IMG]).
    DJ

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I had a terrible hum which generated, I felt, from my amp, which was hooked up to a Monster Power line conditioner. I tried a whole bunch of stuff, then last weekend, bought a very high capacity power cord to try out a different outlet. Not only did I notice no dropoff in sound, but the hum is now all but gone. I'm no electrician, so I don't know why, but it worked for me.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

An issue with the former outlet suggests itself as a possibility. Perhaps now you're on a different circuit. Or perhaps your former cord was defective in some way. Either way, good to have the hum gone [​IMG]

11. I have a crown K2 which can put out up to 2500watts RMS into 4ohms...of course I have it wired up to "only" 800wattsRMS/channel at 4ohms/channel.
    I DO actually use most of the amp power on transients. I have driven it into clipping on a few occasions.
    The amp comes with only a ~3ft cord. I added another 4ft (over 100% increase in original length) using 12awg cable. No audible change here [​IMG]

12. Brian OK

.....except when it clips........

13. clipping is not a power cord issue

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor