Power Consumption Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Brent, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have a dumb question. I don't pretend to understand power requirements and current capabilities, but from what I've read, the beefier the amp the more power it requires.

I'm trying to decide on a new receiver. The ones in the line up are the denon 3803, the HK 525, and the pioneer 45tx. I might also consider the onkyo 900.

My question is this....on pioneers online manual, it lists the 45tx's power consumption as 600 watts. How can this be?? Or can it not put out the 7x100 it claims? The denon claims a current draw of 7 amps, which is 840 watts, correct?? And the HK claims a max current draw of 1040 watts.

Can someone clarify this stuff for me??

Thanks

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Jason:
    I've asked this question religously on this and other forums. It is a very interesting subject.
    Truth is without going into a lot of explanation is that you can't draw real conclusions from this data.
    We think the 600 WPC that Pioneer indicates for the 45 TX is a calculated value based upon what Pioneer thinks all channels may draw max. Now why do I say this? Well we have test results for the 49TX and I beleive it was listed at 720 Watts Power consumption yet it handled the test by putting out 130 WPC all cheannels driven. SO, we think Pioneer's numbers are not the max current but some other calculated number. Now, if you look on AVSFORUM at some of the threads I've been in you'll find alot of this stuff. Tom Bombadil is a good resource.
    I've done extensive testing on the 45 TX with an SPL meter now. Read the last part of this thread:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=183147
    I had some good testing on my 45 today.
    Bottom line is that these machines you listed are very good. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. They all are on my list. But, for any of them if your really into very loud your gonna need a good 2 or 3 channel amp dedicated to the front mains to get the best results.
    These machines will either distort as some have experienced with the Denon or shutdown like 45 does under extreme load. You'd probably have the best luck with the HK as far as the amps go IMHO.
    But, the 45 TX does meet its THX requirements by being able to peak at 105 db. However, it won't average 105 db. Only about 95 - 98 db. Not that that is bad. But, it won't distort - if it gets into distortion or overload due to heat or the capacitors get drained - it shutsdown. Not bad but it lets you know the limits before there is damage to the speakers.
    Anyway there is alot to take into account that we can't know when you just look at the power consumption number. Amp design, power usage efficiency, and the Power Factor the amp operates at all affect the consumption (there are porbably others).
    Mike

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Thanks for the responses.

I do agree that these all seem to be good choices. I guess I'm struggling with the decision a little. Features are important, but I think in the end, sound quality is my biggest concern.

In case if this matters on any of your opinions between these receivers, I'm driving paradigm studio 60's and CC up front and atlantic tech 374 surrounds. I'm a little worried about getting anything that lends to a brighter, more forward sound with the metal tweeters.

One thing about the pioneer and the HK is the sheer weight of the units. I would think their heavier weights suggest bigger, beefier power supplies.

Does anyone know what the MSRP is going to be on the new HK 7200?

Boy...this sure is a tough decision!!

5. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

as a general rule heavy receivers = quality, but there are exceptions. as for the msrp of the 7200, I believe it will be around $1400

6. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Hmmm.....1400??

Is the big difference between the 525 and the 7200 the amp? I don't recall seeing much difference in the features.

One reason I'm really leaning towards this line is I can get cost from an authorized dealer (family). It's kind of hard to pass that up.

7. Rick_FL

yes, go to harman kardon website. they have some stuff on the 7200. IIRC it has more avr8000 features, like toroidal transformers etc. and it is 100wpc x 7 channels. And you can bet it puts out that.

8. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Another ? about the HK's

I don't see anywhere on their site about DTS 96/24. Is this a big deal??

9. Rick_FL

the 7200 will do DTS 96/24