What's new

Power Conditioners (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Sure they don't last forever but that's why you buy them sized appropriately and install them where they belong...at the mains. You put something like a 1000 joule unit in an area that's not lighting prone (NASA has lightning maps) and you'll get 15 years out of it. Units today are designed such that when they fail, they fail open, not shorted.
Now Brickwall and company, those are series mode devices, and unless they've changed things, they absolutely require that your outlets are wired properly and even their effectivess is greatly enhanced by being placed where they belong. Although I personally don't fully buy into it, you'll find that companies such as Bryston recommend against series mode devices, their reasons being 'current limiting'.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a brickwall and used it exclusively for the protection features which after all the research I did seems clear to me that it's the best out there for that. Zerosurge is actually the company that came up with it, Brickwall has licensed it for audio and HT instances and Adcom has also licensed it for thier newest line of surge protection. I have since sold it and gone to a PS Audio Ulitmate Outlet 15Amp hi current. You can find these used for $250 to 300 and the standard 15Amp units for $175-200. I've got the PS Audio upstream from everything else in my system except for the amps which go directly into the wall outlet. There are sonic benefits to using the UO over the brickwall units, and PS Audio claims that they are just as effective at protection as well. They do not use MOVs which as noted are sacrificial. If it were me, I'd stay away from Monster and panamax (et. all) and get either a PS Audio or Brickwall device depenting if you are after greater sonic benefits for more $$.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they use tranzorbs, aka Silicon Avalanche Diodes, but they jack the price up for it. But that's parallel technology while Brickwall is series.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I've got the PS Audio upstream from everything else in my system except for the amps which go directly into the wall outlet.
Brian,

I am curious why you would not connect your amps to the PS Ultimate Outlet?? Do you use any surge protection at all?

Thank you,
Charles

I believe that the quality of the power being used by my Home Theatre devices makes a difference in how they perform. But there is a point of diminishing returns. I can't do anything about the 25 year old transmission lines or the 40 year old generator but once that power reaches my house I can carefully check that my homes internal wiring is not a source of problems. A simple and relatively inexpensive place to start are your duplex receptacles which are probably "contractor specials" @ $.49 ea. Following all reasonable safety precautions, replace the receptacles with higher quality (hospital) or check out diycable.com for even better quality.
I have heard improvements in sound quality with that simple, low cost tweak. I have also heard power conditioners both improve and worsen sound quality. I think surge suppresion probably makes sense but I have also heard surge suppressors contribute to a lowering of sound quality.
If your HT equipment shares a circuit with other equipment especially microwaves,there can be interactions. Try to dedicate one circuit to HT equipment only and carefully change out the receptacles to a better quality item and I'm betting you hear an improvement

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks