power conditioners, yay? or nay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Reiter, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Hi guys. I just bought my Aragon 2007 amp, and am about to buy an Anthem AVM-20 Pre-Amp. Very shortly after that, I will be upgrading to 7 Rocket Loudspeakers. My question is, should I be looking at getting a power conditioner? Will it affect the sound in anyway? Is it ok for Home Theater but maybe not recommended for 2ch? I dont see it making sense that some people spend hundreds of dollars on custom power cables, and then would plug into a power conditioners. Of course you'd want to upgrade your power outlet and ideally get your own circuit breaker to that outlet.

But will power conditioner kill 2ch or home theater sound in high end setups?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you have your own home consider running an outlet or two just for your home theater setup.

3. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I have a panamax 1000+ in each theater- BUT I do not plug the amp into it. I was told by Aragon to plug the amp directly into the wall. In one home, the amp was pulling so much juice that the it kept blowing the circuit breaker. I then wired 2 dedicated outlets into the room at a cost of $350. Not too bad in my mind. Good luck.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Adam,

You’re asking smart questions, and the answers may be …it depends. The Aragon/Anthem combo certainly fall toward the higher-end of the spectrum and deserve the best or optimum system setup.

The first question might be: What do I want for a hefty SURGE PROTECTOR that also carries AC line noise filters (all do) and other bells n whistles such as separate outlets for digital/analog or video/audio to minimize crosstalk, and serves as a nice power center to plug everything into.

One such cud be the Pananax 5100 HERE at $299.

This unit as such is not a dedicated POWER CONDITIONER such as Equi=Tech, PC Audio, ExactPower, SmartHome “Garbage Collector” and others in this class. See REVIEWS

Once your system is up and running for HT and 2-channel, you can assess if the noise floor sounds dark and quiet, interference seems absent, system plays equally satisfactorily at low and high levels, and then come to some decision if a power line conditioners – and the costs – are justified. In a sense, a PLC wont so much dramatically improve the audio but preserve the best the equipment can put out, but nothing magical beyond that. A lot of this will be try-it-and-listen with a return policy from the vendor.

The other suggestions for a dedicated 20amp circuit are well-made. I suspect Aragon, like many large amp makers, will suggest plugging it directly into the wall outlet. That will leave the Anthem prepro and a powered sub amp to be plugged into the surge suppressor, which also handles incoming cableTV or satellite coax which need surge protection too.

Another argument will be made to look into a whole-house surge suppressor at the Main Service entrance; there are various and may be $200 plus installation. Might check with the power company, too. This protects a dedicated circuit as well as all other circuits that support microwave/household appliances. There’s nothing wrong with using added surge protector/power centers at the point of use downstream from a whole-house setup.

Of course, you cud consider the less expensive Panamax MAX8 DBS+3 ~$75-77 as your “starter” surge protector if a PLC seems likely down the road.

…welcome to the journey…

bill

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well if your home doesn't have surge protection and one comes along you will be SOL plugging it into the wall.