What's new

power conditioners or surge protectors (1 Viewer)

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
Is it really worth the money to invest in a power conditioner or a good surge protector??

AaronJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been looking at the Monster HDP 1800 power center. Is that getting to the point of overkill or reasonable.

I've never really been a believer in this stuff but I was at Best Buy the other night and they have basically the exact same setup as I do in the Klipsch Quintet and 12" subwoofer. It seemed as though the sound their was alot cleaner and crisper. They had the 1800 hooked up.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The main point of surge protection is to protect your equipment from power spikes, not to provide better sound.

If you live in an area where the power fluctuates somewhat, you can extend the life of your equipment by adding a surge protector. Good surge protectors will also protect against very sharp surges along power, telephone (data) lines and cable or satellite feeds (such as a lightning strike).

Voltage regulators will boost or decrease fluctuations in voltage within their capabilities (read the specs) to the voltage that is supposed to be delivered.

UPSes provide protection against unexpected power interruptions and in the event that you experience an extended power outage will keep your equipment running long enough (15–30 minutes) to turn everything off instead of the power just outage shutting everything down. This is particularly helpful in areas where there is very minor, but frequent power interruptions.

Many companies (such as APC or Belkin) make units that provide all three functions in one box—and these are normally very much less expensive than brands that are heavily marketed (and marked up).

Some companies make high end units that isolate the power delivered from one piece of electronic gear from another (and also provide other fancy features). IMO, these are overkill unless you are an audiophile with a big budget and have high-end electronics.

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
My higher end store (Vanns) has both APC and Panamax. APC H15 runs about $250 for a 1.5kVA. The problem is that the outlets are rated for certian piece of equipment (AV, TV, Subwoofer, etc) and I have more equipment for certian outlets than what is there. I have 3 subs and only 1 outlet for subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks