Power Conditioners: Monster, Panamax

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Morris, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I must say I'm a skeptic when it comes to these things.

I've been having ghosting problems with my cable. My online research has pointed me towards a line conditioner, which may help with the cable signal as well as overall audio/video in my system.

My local dealer has given me a Monster 2000 something to try. It's basically a massive power bar, but has AC filtering as well as protection. I will try it out tonight. If I can see/hear improvements, I will probably buy a component-sized version.

I guess my question is, what differences should I be looking/listening for? aside from the obvious ghosting...

what improvements have you experienced with Line/Power Conditioning?

2. John Tuttle

John Tuttle Agent

Please let us know what your tests show. My father got his for free when he bought his last HT system and I am just unsure on whether they are worth the money.

3. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Well, the results are in.
    Keep in mind I'm a skeptic, so I went into this expecting NOT to see or hear any difference. Guess what. There wasn't any.
    The ghosting was still there in my cable. Just moving the wires around behind the TV had more effect on the ghosting than the Monster did. Makes me wonder what kinds of lovely magnetic fields I must have behind there. [​IMG]
    I also switched back and forth from my power bar to the Monster auditioning some of my favourite audio tracks. Any difference? None that my 'audio-memory' could distinguish after the 60 seconds or so it took me to swap the wiring. I heard no change in the tonality of the sound. No change in the noise (no matter how it was wired, I had to turn the volume on my Marantz SR-18 to +10db to hear a hiss from the listening position). No change in the midrange or soundstaging. I listened in particular to Sinead O'Connor's Three Babies track from i do not want what i haven't got. The guitars, strings, and vocals all sounded exactly the same to my ears (which can be quite critical).
    Thank god for free trials. This Monster is already packed up and ready to go back to the store.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You might be lucky and not have alot of noise in your AC lines or at least not when you were doing the comparisons.

I did a quick test last week using one of those noise detectors on my outlets at home, especially the ones in the Home Theater room. The noise generated when plugged into the bare oulets was staggeringly high. I would estimate it was reduced by about 90% when plugged into a Monster HTS2000.

Just to have all the bases covered, I feel better knowing it is there(or something similar), even if I don't need it all the time.

DJ