Power Conditioner????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff James, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I will admit that I know NOTHING about these power conditioners. I'm told I should get one while running seperates and such. To be honest, I don't really want to spend more than $100-150 if I can get away with it. Here are my present system specs....I haven't gotten the Marantz equipment all hooked up yet...that's why I'm trying to gather info on cables and power conditioners.

Marantz AV9000 THX Ultra Certified Pre-amp
    Marantz MM9000 THX Ultra Certified 5-channel Amplifier
    Klipsch RF-3 Reference series Fronts
    Klipsch RC-3 Center Channel
    Klipsch Synergy Surrounds
    Mitsubishi 55807 55" HD RPTV
    Sony ns700p - pro scan DVD player
    JBL PB-10 (WILL A CONDITIONER GET RID OF THE DAMN HUM?)

Anyways, I'm just looking for some opinions so I thank you in advanced!

-Jeff

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jeff,
    Mr. Chu Gai brings a sensible, reasoned "show me" approach to audio-visual and even "psychoacoustic" matters, so listen to him!
    Please read this submission I made to the HTF Beginners FAQ section located in the BASICS thread board.
    Surge Suppressors and Conditioners
    The goal isn't to "condition" your power but to put a surge suppressor between the wall outlets and your expensive electronic equipment. We're not just talkin lightning strikes here, but everyday power transients -- surges and spikes that arise primarily from outside the home.
    These protectors are power strips on steroids -- more than an extension cord with plug-ins. Installing one is great peace of mind. Some are designed to take a hit and fail, then you replace it hopefully with home entertainment gear intact. Others are more robust, called Series Mode protectors, designed to take a hit and keep on working.
    You can pay as little as $60 for a 6-outlet unit, or in the $300 range for larger units with more features that you may decide you could use.
    Let us know what you think when you get a handle on this approach to protecting your system, especially living in electrical/thunderstorm prone Texas.
    bill

3. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

Sounds like these things are important for protecting your equipment versus clean sound then?? I will read the FAQ you mentioned...Thanks for the reply.

-J

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

jeff, if you get back here, a guy from Omaha justed posted THIS THREAD.
    To see the variety of home theater surge suppressors for two leading brands, you can prowl around www.discountpanamax.com

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

You guys have scared the crap out of me. I just ordered a Panamax.

Thanks!

Jan

6. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum....
    On a general note:
    You should a run a search first before posting a "general/broad" question. After reading the threads that come up under your search, post any follow/specific questions to your needs.
    For surge protection, I'd review www.brickwall.com for their products...I use a brickwall unit between the outlet and my balanced power units ("conditioning").
    Good Luck
    Ron

7. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

The brick wall looks like a great product. So, do you need to plug each component into that unit (the cheapest one only has two outlets) or can you plug your strips into that brick wall and be covered??

-J

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Sure, you can plug in power strips downstream of Brickwall. The standard 2-outlet is $139 and they make an Audio version (look closely at website link) for $199. A separate power amp cud go into one outlet, the rest on the other.
    But this same licensed technology (from zerosurge.com) has been adopted in the 2-year-old Adcom ACE 315 and 615 units. I like this application because one gets the "brickwall" or Series Mode technology in a nice rack mount unit with 8 outlets plus coax terminals for cabletv and SAT lines HEREfor about $219 for the 315 model.
    Sorry, that link doesnt show the back of the unit.
    I'd say the Panamax Max 4300 is a worthy competitor HERE
    bill

9. Jonathan Hayes

Continuing on this subject, I'd really appreciate an opinion from the cognoscenti:

I'm now down to deciding between the Adcom 315 plus a Tripp Lite Isobar 6 surge suppressor ($250 + $50+) or a Panamax 5100 ($235). I'm leaning towards the Panamax because it offers 10 outlets in one box, and space will probably be an issue in the media enclosure I'm having built for my set-up - I'm not sure how I can fit another full-sized component PLUS another box for the separate surge suppressor.

A friend told me that MOV-based conditioners interfere somehow with the audio fidelity of receivers and amplifiers.

Which way do you think that you would lean?

Thanks,

J.

10. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I don't know tha MOV will limit or interfere with your components...but, the beef w/ MOV is it can "breakdown" over time.

Ron

11. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

So, the Adcom doesn't use MOVs, rather the "brickwall" type Series Mode "stop it cold" technology.

TrippLite Isobar while very good does rely on MOVs.

Panamax Max units are redesigned (2000-2001) with Panamax's version of circuit surge breaker or "SurgeGate" AND REMAINS MOV-BASED.

Some of this is addressed in the Beginner/FAQ in BASICS and the link above.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That's my understanding also Ron. Above a certain voltage, MOV's begin to wear. With time they become less and less capable of handling surges and of course, 'the big one'. Companies that use MOV's have ways of beefing up things by using larger ones, doubling up, providing secondary and tertiary means of redundancy and backup. Nonetheless, wear down they will and its recommended they be replaced periodically. The thing is most of us buy these things and its like the Ron Popeil infomercial...'we set it and forget it'.

13. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Chu:

You hit ALL the nails on the head....

Take Care
    Ron

14. Jonathan Hayes

Thanks, all. Bill, I had read your excellent and very clear BASICS guide, but I've looked at so much info in the last week or so prior to makign the decision that things are all seeming to flow together!
    The Adcom 315 seems more attractive to me, but is it worth the extra money (including the TrippLite strip to give me the adequate number of outlets) and extra hassle of wiring it into an enclosed space when for fifty bucks less I can buy the 10 outlet Panamax 5100?
    I don't want to wonder any more! I just want to email in an order!
    Thanks,
    J.[​IMG]

15. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jonathan,

You're right, this doesn't have to be as involved, convoluted and mind-bending as choosing a receiver, outboard amp, and prepro where vacillation is common ("Help!!!What Should I Buy?" type posts; no offence).

Surge suppressors aren't a very popular subject on forums because it's ho-hum to most, until disaster strikes. And they dont make any huge audible improvements. They are mostly insurance and a convenient central power center.

For 99 percent of us willing to spend the money, Panamax Max5100 is a great device. A set it and forget it one, as Chu Gai will say. (Chu Gai's scientific bent now has him reading and posting links to electrical facility engineer white papers and U.L. specification reports, for the curious).

So for you it seems the no. of outlets is a big concern. Adcom 315 (and the 615) have 8 outlets; TrippLite Isobar6=6 of course and Panamax 5100 has 10 as you know.

Panamax also neatly refines the F-terminal coax sets with different clamping values between SAT and cableTV coax inputs. I dont see this claimed in other units. Another plus feature - Panamax provides two "high current" plugs for an amplifier and sub amp.

Adcom 315 has only one coax terminal, no problem if you're not going SAT; the 615 has two sets.

Altho the Adcom has 8 outlets, dont forget you can plug at least one component into the back of your receiver -- the Switched outlet -- to "save" an outlet on the surge protector. I have my DVDp plugged into my rcvr. I suppose I should try it plugged into my surge suppressor some time.

bill

16. Jonathan Hayes

Bill! Thanks for giving the Panafax your OK . I've ordered one from www.discountpanamax.com, and they're saying it will get here speedily.
    Thanks again, all.
    J.

17. Jonathan Hayes

(Uh, Panamax!)

18. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

[​IMG]

19. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

Is the Panamax 5100 worth the nearly $100 more it costs over the Panamax 4300? I wasn't aware of the necessity of a power station such as this, and therefore did not factor it into my Home Theater budget. Will the Panamax 4300 suffice? Or should I spend the extra money and go with the 5100?
    My equipment (hooking it up in the next few weeks sans subwoofer, hopefully):

Klipsch RF-3II Mains
    Klipsch RC-3II Center
    Klipsch RS-3II Surrounds
    SVS PC+ 20-39 Subwoofer (out late August)
    Denon 3802 Receiver
    Toshiba TW56X81 HDTV television
    Toshiba SD6200 Pro scan DVD player
    Tivo Box
    Digital Cable Box

20. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Website info Max 5100 vs. 4300