Power conditioner warranties?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Henry Wai, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Henry Wai

Henry Wai Extra

I'm still new and learning HT, as power conditioners are concern, purchasing one can get pretty expensive, say the APC H15, what happens after 5 years when the warranty is up? Is all your connected equipment still covered after that? I think not, but someone can chime if I'm wrong, another one, the Panamax, which offers only 3 year warranty on there units ONLY if you bought from a Authorized Panamax Internet Dealer List. Monster carries a 5 year warranty. Be careful when choosing power conditioners and look at the warranty.
    The PureAV, is one of the few that I found left that offer lifetime warranty with connected equipment warranty on there power conditioners and surge protectors.

2. Henry Wai

Henry Wai Extra

The tripp-Lite LCR 2400, offers $25,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You better read the warranties very, very, very carefully and understand that while they offer you some relief, the relief is also from the companies having to pay up. In the case where the part of the warranty addresses the connected equipment, things you'll find is that the warranty is contingent on your electrical system being up to snuff, that you've taken proper precautions with protecting other avenues of surge ingress (phones, cable), that you've got a properly functioning ground, etc. Also, the warranty is going to be for fair market value and what you think is fair market and what they think are two different things. Given the pace of technology today, the full depreciation may only amount to a few years. Further, reading the fine print, you'll often find that these warranties only kick in after your homeowners. If you've got a $1000 deductible and the value of your equipment prorated was $600, then depending upon how that warranty reads, they may still pay nothing since you were willing to incur $1000 in out of pocket expenses.

It is entirely foolish to buy a protector based upon its warranty. If you want to protect yourself in the event that a surge or some other act of nature totals your equipment, then get an insurance policy that specifically addresses your concerns and make sure you check the box that says you want full replacement value and not some prorated thing. Further, opt for no deductible. Sometimes this is available from your homeowners/renters insurance as an option or rider. Where it's not, you can buy separate insurance from a number of companies. Make some calls and ask around.

4. Henry Wai

Henry Wai Extra

"It is entirely foolish to buy a protector based upon its warranty"

Maybe to some people, but it sure shows, Manufactures like "PureAV" believes in there "products", that they back it with lifetime warranty.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Please provide a suitable link that gives the warranty.

6. Henry Wai

Henry Wai Extra

Page 13 in there manual.

http://www.pureav.com/support/manual...ad=1426&lang=1

Belkin Warranty
    Belkin Corporation warrants to the original purchaser of any Belkin Power
    Conditioner for the life of the product, that the Power Conditioner shall be free
    of defects in design, assembly, material, or workmanship, and will repair or
    replace, at its option, any defective product free of charge.
    Belkin Corporation will repair or replace, at its option, any equipment
    which is damaged by a transient voltage surge/spike or lightning strike, (an
    “Occurrence”), while properly connected through a Belkin Power Conditioner
    to a properly wired AC power line with protective ground. If you are using
    an AC Power Conditioner that has phone, network, or coaxial protection, the
    telephone line, network line, and coaxial-cable line must be properly connected
    and installed, as determined by Belkin at its sole discretion.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I gave Belkin a call (800 223 5546) and eventually was connected to tech support. I posed the question, "If I've got one of your PureAV units and a surge comes, how do I get reimbursed for the loss of any attached equipment?" There were some follow up questions on my part also.

You of course, must be the original owner and be prepared to substantiate this with a receipt of some sort. Lose or misplace your receipt, you're SOL.

First, Belkin will need to determine if their surge protector failed in the act of duty. You'll have to send the unit in so that they can examine it and make a judgement if the surge protector was responsible for passing a surge. There must be the appropriate sort of damage for that to have occurred. If the unit is functional, then Belkin will not replace your equipment.

So let's say Belkin says that their unit died and was a contributor to your equipment being destroyed in some fashion. Next, Belkin will inform you of where you can send your equipment so that the extent of the damage can be determined. Replacement or repair or a third option which is you get money for the device(s) are all possibilities. So how does Belkin decide what to do? Well your equipment has a value that's determined by the Orion Blue Book. For equipment that's not in the Orion Blue Book, Belkin will determine the unit's worth. You might have some negotiation here, but I wouldn't count on a lot of wiggle room. Again, you better have some receipts here. Even if your equipment is a couple of months old, Belkin may say that it's used (after all, if you drive a brand new car off the lot it's now used) and use that amount to determine which scenario they'll take. If it happens that your equipment that got fried is very expensive and relatively new, well then Belkin will require an inspection of your electrical system. After all, if your outside ground is a bit flaky or there are other problems, then as per their warranty you weren't "properly wired". Oops.

The best you can get is fair market value and what they determine to be fair and what you feel is fair are often many dollars apart.

If you want to insure that your equipment gets replaced like it was new no matter how old it is, then you buy the right kind of insurance. You don't rely upon a warranty that's designed more to make sure the company doesn't get hit too hard than it is for you to get promptly and fairly reimbursed. When these types of warranties can be offered by even the most inexpensive surge protector at Walmart, really, how much do they mean? Sure you read the occasional story from Monster or Panamax or whomever about someone who got a new sub or receiver. All companies have gimme's like that to create the impression of good-will. They take a few losses and the word goes out.

You can take the position that they believe in their products or you can recognize it for what it is - a sales gimmick.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Of the people I know who have used their warranty which is not very often, the manufacturers have backed it up. Monster and Panamax especially.
    A sales gimmick? Please. The difference is that Chu has no personal experience(it's obvious) with said products. The people I know whom have bought their products have had the best of experiences when the warranty work was needed on the product and when the connected eqiupment warranty is needing to be used.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Want to read a horror story of someone who had to go through a series of hoops to get their product serviced by Panamax? Pressure had to be put on them by the aid of other forum members (not here) and had they not been able to enlist the aid of other people, they likely would've thrown their hands up.
    It is a sales gimmick Shane but I understand that you're an apologist for companies (it's obvious).