power cables make a difference!!!???

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by DannyL, Feb 23, 2004.

1. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i'm currently running b&w nautilus 804's and htm1 center channel with a parasound halo c2 pre/pro with an a-51 amp. i just added a balanced power technology bp-2 unit to my system. all my components except the amp are plugged into the balanced power unit. the bp-2 and amplifier are both running off the same single dedicated 20 amp circuit.

with the bp-2 in position i noticed a very immediate widening of the soundstage and much clearer high end and better defined bass.

here's my question. i ran out of space on my audio rack so i have the bp-2 on the floor. i unfortunately ordered the unit with only a six foot power cord. the only room on the floor is to the left of my front main speaker (unless i leave the bp-2 unit on the floor in front of the television- not very good WAF). the power cord is too short. my parasound amp is closer to the power outlet and comes with an eight foot power cable. so i swapped the bp-2 and parasound a-51 power cables not expecting to hear any difference.

unfortunately i do hear a difference. with the bp-2 power cable plugged into my amplifier and the parasound power cable running the bp-2 the high end is not quite as clear as it was before and the soundstage seems a little narrower. i swapped cables a bunch of times and i definitely hear a difference. i assume the differences i'm hearing is do to power limitation to the amplifier. the bp-2 power cable is 10 gauge- this is more than adequate for 20amps. the parasound cable is a mass produced generic cable- no quite sure what gauge though.

why am i hearing a difference? i assume both power cords are properly wired since the amp and bp-2 are working with either cable. as long as a cable is at least 12 gauge this is fat enough for any 20 amp line, right?

2. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i wouldnt touch this one with a 10ft pole...

i have power cords on all my stuff, but a lot of people in this forum dont even believe speaker cables make a difference, let alone power cords.

personally, if you can hear a difference, leave it at that.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For a 20 amp line, code specifies that the romex must be 12 gauge minimum. For the PC, the gauge depends upon the length of the connection and the anticipated draw from what it's attached to. Since you need a longer cord you can pick up shielded Beldens at newark electronics for well under $20 and get a gauge that makes you happy. 14 would work well I'd think.

4. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

When you use the parasound amp cord on the BP-2 amp does the chord get hot? If so it is under guaged and limiting the supply of current to the BP-2. Get the proper guaged cable and you should be fine.

5. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

the cord doesn't get hot. i called parasound- the cord is 12 gauge, so i don't think either cable should limit any power. i made a ten gauge power cable with a marinco iec and plug. i'll do some experimenting this weekend.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    One thing I've always wondered...

So based on all the amazing sound differences folks hear when they swap out the original manufacturers power cords on home audio/video equipment, do the manufacturers (even the highest end ones) make their product sound just "OK" at best and hope that some consumers figure out how to "unlock" that golden grail of sound qualities for that piece of audio equipment by purchasing ANOTHER company's power cord?

Are they (manufacturers) content that they couldn't make their piece of equipment sound "perfect" "more spacious" "more definded" "tighter" etc. and live with the fact that all the after market power cord manufacturers have figured it out and get all that extra business ($$$) because they, the A/V manufacturer, just couldn't figure out how to make their equipment sound it's best? Why not team up with the cord company that can completely change the way the equipment sounds even though you (manufacturers)spend hours creating, testing, analyzing the equipment to sound what you hope is perfect?

Why can't the audio/video manufacturers finally figure out how to actually make their equipment sound good? Certainly by all the glowing reviews of how after market cords make A/V equipment (or at least some of it) sound even MORE amazing than when it left the factory, they would want a piece of the big cash cow power cords have created.

I'm assuming all the $$$ spent by the A/V manufacturers on engineer's, testing labs, etc. are all for naught since a simple new aftemarket power cord can unleash a truly MORE amazing sound from many folks' A/V equipment.

Food for thought...

Alfer

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Rotel plays that game Alf.

8. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

If he was alive today PT Barnum would probably be selling after market power cords.

Robert