Power amp or new reciver to run my Paradigms?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Craig Ball, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I have Monitor 9, cc-370, and adp-470, but my H/K AVR 230 does not have enough power to make these speaks rock like they did at the dealers hooked up to an Anthem MCA 50. My max budget would be $1500. Any suggestions an a reciever that can push these or a 5 channel amp in my price range?

Craig

2. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Check out some of the offerings from Outlaw at www.outlawaudio.com I'm very happy with mine.

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Ditto on Outlaw - also consider Denon 3805 or a Yamaha receiver. Both should work fine. Are you using a sub?

4. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Yeah I have the Paradigm PW2200. That Anthem MCA amp really had those speaks sounding good, my H/K gonna clipp if i try to play to loud.

Craig

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

If you like it really loud, go with the outlaw amps. With a $1500 budget you'll have several options. I'm running two M200 monoblocks for my left and right main channels.

What crossover setting are you using for yor sub?

6. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I have my reciever x-over at 80hz and just left the sub maxed out.

Craig

7. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

mackie, what speaks are you running? Also what are you using as a pre-amp?

Craig

8. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I'm also using M-200 monoblocks with a Yamaha HTR-5790. It sounds great, and adding another M-200 here and there as funds permit was better for me than shelling out a couple of grand all at once.

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Look into the Pioneer 56TXi. Its built like a tank and will have more than enough power for your speakers

Kevin

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I'm using Studio 40v3 for front L&R, a CC470 for the center, and studio 20s for my surrounds. My receiver is a Denon 3803.

I was surprised that I didn't notice much difference between the studio 40s after I added the monoblocks. I don't usually listen to music and movies all that loud. I set my crossover at 80 too.

I'm not familiar with the HK receiver you use, but the Denon 3805 or comparable Yamaha my have all the power you need as long as you're using a sub. If you're sending the full signal to the speakers or you listen very loud you'll definitely want to add the amp. MTCW.

11. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I don't like using my sub with music just movies. I liked the way they sounded hooked to the 250 wpc MCA 20 they really put out the bass to me anyway. I've nevr been able to blend a sub well when listening to music sources.

Craig

12. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

This is why you wouldn't have noticed a difference between the receiver and adding the monoblocks. Its those sudden transients and low frequencies of music and HT that put strain on the amp section of receivers. So until you hit that point you won't notice the difference.

Kevin

13. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Craig - you'll probably want to add amplifiers since you plan on listening to music without a sub. I'm surprised you're having a hard time blending the PW2200 and your main speakers. I've heard that combination and it sounded good.

Kevin - you're correct. I think that people should understand that external amplification doesn't always improve sound. Using a good receiver, moderately sensitive speakers, and crossing over the low frequencies to a sub is often going to give excellent results that external amplification won't really improve. That's why I always suggest people try amps before buying. Of course, room, speakers, and listening preferences will come into play.