Power amp and plasma tv on the same circuit ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DanielG, Dec 16, 2003.

1. DanielG

DanielG Agent

Has anyone experienced any problems with having their plasma and amp plugged into the same outlet?

Depending on the setup I choose, I may end up having a 2-channel amp (Bryston 4B-SST) plugged in on the same circuit and outlet as my plasma (Fujitsu P42-HHA30WS). I could use a line conditioner/surge protector such as a Monster Power Center with a filtered plug for the plasma and plug both into that device and that device into the outlet. Right now the circuit is 15amp though I could relatively easily have the electrician change that to 20amp.

Perhaps I'm being ridiculously cautious and much too anal, but given that I've read about various potential video noise issues effecting audio on the same circuits I had planned to have my video equipment on different circuits than my audio equipment. I figured I'd ask for input on any concerns with this setup and whether anyone would recommend that it is advisable to have the circuit changed to 20amp.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--Dan

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Unlikely you'll ever draw enough current to trip a 15 amp circuit. Not familiar with the Monster product in particular, but a good surge surpressor is pretty cheap insurance. I use a Panamax unit that has separate circuitry for amps and subs and is supposed to let them draw more current at peak levels vs the other filtered areas for input of the plasma, DVD etc. Is it true or marketing hype?....not sure but it's sure convenient to have one plug going into the wall and all the other stuff plugged into the unit. As a fellow traveler in the anal world, I also had a panel guard surpression unit installed....it hooks into the main panel and guards against spikes and such across the whole unit....which is also nice for protecting other electronic junk in my house.

Mort

3. DanielG

DanielG Agent

I also figure that I'll never draw 15amps, but I really don't know how many amps a plasma draws so I guess that's really the first question.

I also have a surge protection unit hooked in at my main panel - I figured since I was redoing all the electrical and replacing the main panel might as well get that added protection.

--Dan

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Don't know the amp draw off hand, but my 42" HD panel says it draws about 350 watts. The indicators on my Panamax do show voltage fluctuations once in a while (not much and that's with or without a draw) but there again I don't really know how accurate those things are or if it really matters.....but it is kinda neat to watch 'em [​IMG] With the panel, DVD, AVR running at full gallop I've never had a problem on my 15 amp circuit and with the surpressor/line conditioner box never any audio or video interference.

Mort