Power amp advice needed Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred DeGrandis, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking at Power Amps for awhile, and I wasn't doing anything today, so I decided to hook up the Samson S700(from my SVS 20-39CS setup) to my fronts(Paradigm Studio 80's). After I hooked it up (with cheap wires!!) I was amazed at how the addition of a power amp really woke these speakers up!! I would never listen to music in 2channel stereo, but always in 5 channel stereo. I hooked it up to the fronts, and listened in 2 channel mode, and a smile came to my face.

I have been looking at 5 channel amps for awhile now, but I am flexible.

What do you think is the best route to take?

I have a Marantz SR7000,which I will use as a pre/pro, and Paradigm Studio 80's, Studio 20's, and a Studio CC.

I dont have a problem buying used if I have to. If you think that powering the rears is a waste of cash, and could be done fine by the Marantz, thats fine by me. I have considered the Anthem MCA 5 series II, The Outlaw Audio 750, and more. Like I said before, If any of these, or any others recommended will wake the speakers up as much as the Samson S700(I am not kidding, It really sounded awesome). I dont have a$sloads of cash to spend, I want my budget to be around 1,000. but like I said before, I am a little flexible.

I plan to pick up a a dedicated pre/pro, in the distant future, but being a college student, I don't have the cash right now.

Thanks for all of your help,

Fred

2. EarlR

EarlR Stunt Coordinator

Fred

I would highly recommend a used Classe CAV150. I used to own one of these and it is a fantastic sounding amplifier. It is a 6 channel amp at 150 watts per channel and very flexible with bridging capability for 3, 4, 5, or 6 channels.

Earl

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I use an Anthem MCA5 with my Paradigm Reference 40's Fred. The combination is just so much better than what I had before with my Harman Kardon receiver. I'm missing a pre/pro right now, so my amp is idle most of the time, but I ran my CD player direct into the Amp for about a week to stretch the legs of the Amp and it was amazing. The combo is a tad "bright", but that could be because my speakers haven't fully broken in yet. I've only got about 40 hours on them and people say they need 80-100 for the highs to settle. Still, I would say it's only a "tad" bright, so even if the high's don't recess at all, I'm still happy with the sound, VERY happy.

By the way, I've heard that in the discontinued Active 40's, Paradigm used Anthem amplification if that tells you anything about the partnership. Granted, they are the same parent company, but the Active 40's got amazing reviews for a reason.