Power adapter for the car?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by CRyan, Aug 14, 2005.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I am in need of a power adapter for the car that will allow me to power various electrical devices - just one at a time. I guess the most demanding thing I will be powering will be my laptop. I want to go with a DC-AC converter. It seems it will provide the most flexibility for me.

Anyway, it seems that the most popluar options are 90-120-140 watts. I know nothing about this and wanted to know if my laptop can work on the 90 watts version? If so, why would you want 140 watts?

Thanks for any help. I actually looked on the power line for my laptop and it has no wattage requirements listed.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just did a quick Google and this page said laptops use 45 watts.

I'm guessing the 90 watt will suit you good. That's the one we used on the long family road trips. It powered a 13" TV, a gaming system, and a VCR. Since we pretty much maxed out the wattage though it tended to overheat after a couple of hours.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Highly advise getting a dc-ac converter for the car to use on laptops and cellphones. I don't know why but every package I've read about them states specifically not to use on either of them but for some reason they're ok for TVs and home computers. [​IMG]