Power 110 verses 220?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I was wondering if anyone has ever thought about running 220volts to equmpent that is compatable?
    Ok here is the reason I ask my boss is a retired electrician and I was asking him on some stuff and he was telling me that 220 is more efficient than 110,for example he said if you was to wire an electric 1hp motor with 110 it will draw more current and run hotter than the same motor wired with 220. So what I was thinking is if you had an amp that is compatable with 220 would you see the same binifit of running cooler and drawing less current, mabey even getting some extra power or better sound quality?
    I dont know if Im in the right field or not but this has been on my mind for some time I just thought Id see if anyone else has thought about this or tryed to see if there is any advantage to it.
    P.S. I hope this dont spark one of those power cords dont make a differance threads cause thats not what Im asking.[​IMG]

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

One thing to consider -

Most recommend that your audio system be fed off one leg of your panel to avoid groundinng isssues.

By definition, you can't do this with 220. So you might be opening yourself up to some hum.

Maybe your boss would know for sure. I don't.

BB

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Actually it is drawing the same amount of current either way. Look at the name plate on the equipment, it probally says 10 amps at 110, and 5 amps at 220/208. As for cooler, it probally will run a little cooler. Then take into consideraton the cost of the 220V plug, running the new wire(unless it already is a dedicated outlet, then you just have to move the wires in the panel), new 220 breaker(needs to be room in the panel) paying a electrican 75 dollars an hour(probally a one hour job).

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

The cost of doing this would be no problem cause all I would be paying for is the wire and stuff.One point made was about ground hum how would 220 pick up hum any more than 110? Like I was asking this is something I was just thinking about cause I new 220 was more effenct than 110 same as three faze wireing is more still but that wouldent apply,I was just wondering if anyone had thought about this and tryed to see if there was any advantage.
    who knows I may get bored and just try for myself to see if I can notice a differance,Im just one of those people who cant keep my hands off stuff anyway Ill try almost anything to try and get that last ounce of MORE POWER[​IMG] [​IMG]