Potentially Expensive question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Bogie, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Okay - following the whole "buy the best and cry once" dealie, here goes...

What would you speaker gurus think of putting together a pair of speaks using some "premium" drivers, possibly those big BG ribbons and several midbass drivers, sort of a line array looking thing, and using a Bryston 10B for the crossover? A friend has one, and she has nothing but good things to say about it...

Granted, used cost is gonna be pretty high, but they've got a good warranty, and if I'm going to be dropping a couple of grand on speaker parts, then going nuts on the enclosures, the crossover cost seems far more reasonable...

(Admin note - edited out the "Stupid" descriptor, let's lay off such adjectives in thread titles in the future.)

2. not a good idea. There are many more parts to an XO than just the basic 2nd (or other) order XO and Lpad. you also have to worry about baffle step, comb filtering, and resonance peaks.

You earlier wanted to do everything on your own, now you want to just put it together and use a "semi turnkey" XO.

how about you just put that money into a well designed system. you will be WAY happier in the end.

the worlds best speakers with he worlds best XO parts, with the wolds best cabinet, but a mediocre XO design, will yield a mediocre speaker.

if you want a serious line array, look at the Excelarray at www.selahaudio.com You can also find the designer (Rick Craig) at the Madisound discussion forum.

(FYI, you will probably get the exact same responces in this thread as your other one. It should be a good sign that we speak from experience. Just trying to help you out. Don't want you to blow so much money)

3. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Hey, I'm still learning about this stuff - I thought the Bryston _is_ a good crossover that happens to be adjustable...

Not looking to leap into things - I've thunk about it, and I'll likely take the next year or so to figure stuff out - Especially since I may be moving, and likely will want to make sure the speakers fit the room.

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

No doubt about it, the Bryston is a very good generic XO. But it has no ability to provide baffle step compensation or notch filtering (necessary for the taller B&G ribbons, but can be done with a passive filter).

The Excelarray is interesting and has gotten some good individual reviews. But no one has compared it head to head against other high end arrays. IMO having the XO point well into the midrange is an issue.

Chuck

Trying to short circuit the R&D phase (and the G&D phase = growth and development) of DIY leads to problems. The speaker that is your 'holy-grail' now, probably won't be that in a few years. Times change, tastes change.

You might want to get your feet wet with a 'good' quality kit. Later move them to use as rear channels after finding the next design of interest.