What's new

Potential WB "Two Disc Special Editions" (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
John Kilduff-
I wasn't aware that The Hunger was one
of the titles that migrated over to WB from MGM.
Also, and meaning no offense, as I love many of the
films you mention, but it seems that 2 disc SE treatments
are best suited to films that either a) are critical
hits or b) commercial smashes.
No Madonna film to date qualifies in either catagory.
And not just to you, but to others, how much supplemental
materials do you expect for National Lampooon films?
(I love what I got from Universal with the
Animal House CE , but I didn't
need a 2 disc set.)
Maybe one bonus DVD for ALL the Vacation films, in some
boxed set, but c'mon...these aren't exactly 'important' films of the ilk of King Kong,
Blade Runner. or Gone With The Wind.
Mark

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Sorry to reawaken this site, but I thought that I would put in my two cents of potential Warner Special Editions.

How about "The Hudsucker Proxy". This is one of my favorite films of all time and the current release doesn't give justice to it. I could see two commentaries, one with the Coen Brothers and co-writer Sam Raimi, and the other with producer Joel Silver, composer Carter Burwell, and cinematographer Roger Deakens, an intro by either the Coen Brothers, or film historian Robert Osbourne, who on occasion introduces the film when it airs on TCM. The second disc can feature featurettes like the HBO First Look special, the film's trailers and TV Spots, interviews with the Cast & Crew, and a brand-new makiing-of-documentary. This film was critically successful when it came out, and although it didn't really make money, it would make a worthy choice for their two-disc series.

Anyone else have any other ideas for possible Warner Special Editions for the future?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes, Superman 2 with the added footage that is on my old ABC tv recorded tape would be nice... and I'd be happy with a widescreen copy of Grumpy Old Men. And yes, Batman needs a 2 discer.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest on Sep. 24. Looks like a goodie. And the BEST part of this new 2-disc SE is that we are treated to Bahasa subtitles!! If you're from Indonesia, rejoice! :)
Available subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Thai, Bahasa

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
2010: The Year We Make Contact I think its a vastly underrated movie, that while not as good as the original (how could it be?), its still damn good science fiction. I"m sure there are things we could see that would merit a 2 discer.
Yikes! :eek: I hope that Jack Briggs doesn't read this! :D
Seriously though, I'm dying for the upcoming special edition of GoodFellas. Apparently the real Henry Hill has recorded interviews or something for a commentary because he mentioned it on the Howard Stern show.
I would really love to see special editions of the first two Batman films as well. Probably my favorite superhero movies and I really like Tim Burton's work so I would love to hear a commentary track by him for those films. I wouldn't mind having a special edition of Batman Forever. It definitely had a very weak script, but I still enjoyed it enough to purchase a special edition.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am looking forward to Amadeus the Director's Cut, saw this 2 weeks ago and is so good that I want to see it again.
One Flew is another must buy for me by Milos Forman
:D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
My candidates for 2 Disc SEs...
The High and the Mighty
Forbidden Planet
Bonnie & Clyde
East Of Eden
Deliverance
My Fair Lady With new 2.21:1 transfer and the documentary.
Hmmm...
Gordy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
How about a 2-disc version of The Exorcist with both versions of the film and all the extras from both releases (25th Anniversary and The Version You Have Never Seen), and possibly more ?
I would also pick up 2-disc SEs of
Bonnie and Clyde
Heat
LA Confidential
Shawshank Redemption
Batman
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca

Guy_K

Second Unit
Deepak - I pretty much agree with all of your choices. I'd also say Dog Day Afternoon would make a great warner 2-disc DVD.

DeVario

Agent
My list of potential Warner Two-Disc SE titles:
The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (These would perfectly compliment MGM's Mad Max SE.)
Superman II (The Richard Donner re-cut. I can dream. :) )
Ben-Hur
Gone With The Wind
Batman and Batman Returns
The Matrix
The Right Stuff
Blade Runner (Though I won't complain if it is a 3-discer like I've heard. ;) )
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Bullitt
Cool Hand Luke
Deliverance
Bonnie & Clyde
More to come...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
IRT: DeVario...
Warner's DVD of the 1959 version of Ben Hur was a 2 disc set! 60 minute docu, "selected" audio commentary by Heston, screen-tests etc! Whats mores does one want? ;)
But a 2 disc of Phil Kaufman's The Right Stuff would be fab. I wish that MGM would remaster Invasion Of The Sutherland Snatchers in anamorphic and add DD5.1 to the DVD. Kaufman's commentary is superb though.
Cheers, DV. :)
Gordy

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
2-disc Warner S.E.s I'd like to see:
Casablanca
Where Eagles Dare
Ladyhawke
The Man With Two Brains
Also, and meaning no offense, as I love many of the
films you mention, but it seems that 2 disc SE treatments
are best suited to films that either a) are critical
hits or b) commercial smashes.
No Madonna film to date qualifies in either catagory.
While I'd like to agree with you, I can't: Evita. :)

GregK

Screenwriter
HOUSE OF WAX is a must. Besides a 2-disc version allowing more than enough room for both 2-D and 3-D versions, it would also allow great supplements, commentaries etc on this 3-D horror classic.
If you agree, please don't forget to sign the HOW petion.. (Which is also e-mail confidential) Almost to the 500 mark! http://www.PetitionOnline.com/8519/petition.html Give us some 3-D WB! :cool:
FORBIDDEN PLANET also could use a nice SE. The present DVD, while decent, was one of the 1st MGM DVD releases, so a standard dual layer disc with a new transfer would certainly be an improvement. The present DVD's 2.0 audio track is also lacking, missing many directional stereo effects found on both previous Criterion and MGM laserdisc releases. If they can find a discrete 4.0 mag mix to use for a DD 4.0 track, that would even be better!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
The old Criterion DVD also had a nice collection of deleted scenes, stills etc.. and that LD was part of the first wave of laserdiscs presented in the letterboxed format!
I wouldn't mind a revised 2-disc set of BEN HUR with a widescreen image that isn't unnecessarily cropped. ..And how about the audio option of hearing the original Academy Award winning 4.0 mix, along with the 5.1 "super surround" WB re-mix with all new sound effects. But given WB's track record, I don't expect WB will take another fresh crack at Ben Hur until a consumer High Def version is someday slated. :frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting the five 9/24 releases, and I already have Citizen Kane. Is Doctor Zhivago the only other WB "Two Disc Special Edition" (from this new line of DVDs)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks