Potential of an X-File TV HD Release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kevin Roebuck, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Kevin Roebuck

I am just seeking some feedback. I bought X-FILES season 1-8 a few weeks ago at Future Shop for $399. They had it packaged and wrapped in plastic as one package.

I have not opened it yet and am kind of thinking I might take it back. A few reasons that I am thinking about this:

1) I have season 1 already (was on sale for $49. a few months ago) and the picture quality is not that great...some NTSC artifacts etc.......average at best....

2) I KNOW this will come out on some type of HD format disc and I think it is likely that they should be able to put out much better looking disc's than the current dvd's...

Does anyone have any opinion on this........would the HD versions be likely to look way better than the dvd's.

I realize that I won't be buying HD versions at $50. as season anytime soon but....the extra cost may be worth it...this all assumes that there will be some kind of HD releases.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

If these shows were mastered on video rather than film (which is probably the case if you're seeing NTSC artifacts on the DVDs) then there would be little to no benefit to an HD version. Only those shows that are completely shot AND EDITED on film (rather than video) will benefit from HD-DVD.

3. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

I think you got an outrageous bargain. Most of the X-Files sets retail in the range of $100. Sometimes a bit less ($75), sometimes a bit more ($120). $400 for 8 seasons is a great deal.

As for HD (man, are there lots of crazy questions popping up about HD the last few days) -- We are years away from The X-Files on HD-DVD. You need an HDTV, an HD-DVD player, and the actual discs themselves.

Wait if you want, but it took many years for The X-Files to even come to DVD, and even then, we were receiving one or two seasons a year. By the time you've replaced your box set with all HD-versions, you might be celebrating the 25th anniversary of the X-Files.

4. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Rob,

I think the X-Files was shot in HD starting with Season 5 or so. I think all of the discs look very good compared with network broadcasts.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Thanks, Ernest, I wasn't aware of that.

6. Greg_Masiewich

Greg_Masiewich Auditioning

Just a headsup that anybody can order that set from FutureShop still, great bargain. Just go to Futureshop.ca and search for X-Files. The $399.99 CDN translates into about $330 US.

7. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

Looks like they don't ship to the US. That's too bad. That's about the best deal I've seen for X-Files sets.