What's new

Potential new petition ..... Phantom Menace (w/ DTS)..... (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
... I was just thinking us this, we all know that the production team behind this (Star Wars - TPM) release has the ability to put the DTS track with the movie and not lose a quality picture. Take a good look at the Pearl Harbor set(s).
Its because Lucas and THX have the damn Surround-EX deal or whatever you want to call it. I love the matrix surround, I do it at home but why cant they provide an optional track for us DTS fans.
biggrin.gif

The same thing happened with X-Men and know it was possible on that release too. I dont remember too many features on the disc either.
I dont get. *sigh* I wish studios made seperate Dolby/DTS releases. So much easier.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The X-Men situation was explained very clearly by Peter Staddon at the time of release.
They had a test disc made up with both DD and DTS, but the video quality suffered because of it. The DTS track got dropped.
And the same reason was given by Lucasfilm when the TPM DVD was announced. They wanted to do DTS, but just didn't have the space to make it work.
So there you go.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
quote: I love the matrix surround, I do it at home but why cant they provide an optional track for us DTS fans.[/quote]
Some of us are fans of one sound format of another. Others of us are fans of good sound, regardless of which format may deliver it.
Have you heard the "Phantom Menace" laserdisc?
Just something to chew on.
The same thing happened with X-Men and know it was possible on that release too.
You KNOW it was possible? I'm curious, does your resumé of authored discs include any titles with which I might be familiar?
[Edited last by Carl Fink on August 17, 2001 at 05:22 AM]

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
And the same reason was given by Lucasfilm when the TPM DVD was announced. They wanted to do DTS, but just didn't have the space to make it work.
You're absolutely right Rob, this was what Lucasfilm told the public. But I bet this is the message we'll get for all future SW releases too, and I don't think any Star Wars movie will ever have DTS on it.
But I don't think it needs to either, DD-EX is perfectly fine with me.
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I don't think petitions should be used for any little niggling thing that comes along...
Pan & scan only movie classics however is a huge deal IMHO and require as forceful a response as we can muster.
Lack of DTS is a shame... but DD can be pretty darn good too.
------------------
/Kimmo

HenrikTull

Second Unit
If the DVD DD track is the same one used on the LD, I think including a DTS track is going to be redundant.
[Edited last by HenrikTull on August 17, 2001 at 06:28 AM]

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Some of us are fans of one sound format of another. Others of us are fans of good sound, regardless of which format may deliver it.
Hear! Hear!
Frankly, I've grown quite tired of people lamenting the lack of a dts track on TPM. The main reason is that the disc hasn't even been released yet. Why don't you listen to the mix they release before you start whining for a dts version. Secondly, it has been posted countless times that the THX EX mix on the LD is one of the most stunning mixes some of the HTF members have ever heard...and that's saying a lot.
So lets keep the big things big, and the little things little.
------------------
"I don't know, I'm just making this up as I go."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely there is no pleasing some people somtimes. Don't be so sceptical at least we're getting the disc and it's not panned and scanned.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Why don't you listen to the mix they release before you start whining for a dts version
I think most of us know what's gonna happen here. The disk will be released with a great sounding DD track and they'll still be people saying "It sounds good, but would be better in DTS". There's just no escaping it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Let's not start "crying wolf" with all these petitions
I agree completely. Petitioning for a DTS version of a DD soundtrack that's considered one of the best sounding tracks regardless of format is not only silly, it does everyone a disservice by trivializing and diluting the concept of a petition.
------------------

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I was told a while back that Lucas will never support a DTS track on any of his movies because since he has alot of sway with THX, and THX helped developed Dolby Digital, it would be a conflict of interest if any Lucasfilm movie contained a DTS track. I dont know if Phantom Menace was ever released theatrically in DTS, but thats just how I understood it.
And I agree with the comments made here. There doesnt need to be a petition for every little nit pick about something that somebody wants on a disc. This is already going to be a stellar feature packed DVD, we dont need to complain anymore. And why judge something before its even out. The Phantom Menace DD track on laserdisc was considered one of the best ever. If this one compares to it, I really doubt including a DTS track woudl make any difference at all.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe petitioning for an Episode I DTS track seems trivial to some, but I think that because we've waited this long for The Phantom Menace on DVD, we should have our opinions seriously heard on what we would like to see/hear on the DVD release. We're going to have to wait God knows how long for original trilogy. Don't you think we should have some say-so in what actually goes into those discs?
Regarding the Episode I LD track, the mix does sound absolutely awesome. It is one of, if not THE, most amazing soundtrack I've heard. BUT, and I'll probably sound cliche here, a DTS track certainly has the potential to sound better, especially in ES Discrete at full bit-rate in the 24/96 format. Besides, we all like the LD's soundtrack so much because of the MIX, not Dolby Digital. An awesome mix can make any format sound good, with some formats sounding better than others. Also, I am glad Fox decided to sacrifice a DTS track on the Ep. I DVD in order to save picture quality. Therefore, I am all for a separate DTS release, even if movie-only (ala SuperBit).
[Edited last by Jason_S on August 17, 2001 at 09:43 AM]

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
I think petitioning about this in addition to the WB petitions would dilute the message we are trying to send to studios. I am sure that DTS Ep 1 is important to some people but IMHO it pales into insignificance when compared with releasing movies which are not in their OAR.
I am not very sure if this would have too much effect either - Lucas seems to want to supervise all aspects of the Star Wars DVD's and last I heard he is busy with another project at the moment.
Would you rather that the release was delayed until he has the time again?
Just my opinion anyway.
Don

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I was told a while back that Lucas will never support a DTS track on any of his movies because since he has alot of sway with THX, and THX helped developed Dolby Digital, it would be a conflict of interest if any Lucasfilm movie contained a DTS track. I dont know if Phantom Menace was ever released theatrically in DTS, but thats just how I understood it.
The Phantom Menace was released in DTS theatrically along with DD-EX and SDDS. As was the Special Editions of the Original Trilogy (well, DD, not DD-EX). And, I don't think Lucas/THX had anything to do with Dolby Digital. Dolby Digital Surround EX - yes, but not the original implimentation of Dolby Digital.
Joel

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
With the specs finalised, the transfer and compression made, the disc prepped and the test disc probably approved its almost certainly too late for this anyway. As anyone who has heard the LD will tell you, I can't see DTS being worth the bandwidth here.

DanR

Supporting Actor
While it would be nice to have DTS, it just ain't gonna happen. Lucasfilm will deliver the goods on the Dolby track, so I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of DTS.
Regards,
Dan

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
The fact that a movie was released theatrically in DTS or SDDS has absolutely no relevance with the DVD release. Theatrical DTS and SDDS are dellivery vehicles for the mix. The mix itself is probably stored on a DLT at lucasfilm in pure waveform for all 7 chanels.
Seems alot of people think that a movie has to be in DTS theatrically to have DTS on DVD.
Regarding DTS on TPM. Sure, it would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen. Live with it and enjoy what will probably be a kickass sounding DVD.
------------------
My movies
HTF AFI Top 100 Challenge: 71 70 69 68 films remaining.
Next Up: The Sound of Music
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
the laserdisc is indeed awesome and shares the crown with a few other discs, lds or dvs ( i'd say SPR dts dvd, dd ld, GLadiator dts dvd, Titan AE dts dvd, TS 2 dd dvd, Patriot dd dvd, HEAT dd ld (sorry, not the dd dvd) ), and could be crowned the King.
Now, to tell the hurds that there is no space on a dvd-9 (and how about a dvd-14?......) to hold TPM, a 1/2 dts track, a dd track and nothing else ( on that disc, except the menus and subtitles or catpions) is a lie.
Dolby and THX married for sure when the EX was invented.
Lucas as the THX, now the THX EX, Steven has the DTS, everyone of these big boys has his toy thus, fine.
But, petition for it is dead money before starting, I agree. Just drop it, it won't work.
And if (I say if) the DD EX on the dvd matches ( or beat it? ouch!) the DD LD, fine by me!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by David-alexander on August 17, 2001 at 12:22 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks