Potential big Problem- system won't boot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

All,

I think I might have a serious problem. Last night, I was trying to access the 2nd of my two 45GB drives (drive J: located on the 2nd drive), and I couldn't get it to open. The system hung, and Ctrl-Alt-Del brought up the task manager, but without any of the tabs, and it was non-functional. It was late, so I turned it off.

I go to boot this morning, and after the BIOS and board startup screen (where it identified everything correctly), I get this-

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

Is the boot sector screwed? Any ideas? I had to get to work, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. It's a WinXP setup, and this is my first problem since I installed it (which was a few days after XP came out). What are the alternative ways to boot into XP safe mode, or can I even get that far with this type of problem?

Thanks,

Todd

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

This sounds like either XP gave up or your IDE controller failed.
    I say this because a failure of a boot sector would not affect your ability to access your second drive while you were using the system. It would simply prevent your ability to boot the next time you turned your PC on. This is possibility because I had this happen where everything seemed to work, but the system would occasionally fail. Upon attempting to reinstall, I continually got disk-based errors on every drive that I tried. This was definitely a controller, and I'm glad that the MB was under warranty. [​IMG]
    It could also very well be that XP barfed up a lung. It's based on Windows 2000, so it has convuluted "paths" to determine where drivers and other device files are located. Any corruption to this data will render to O/S unusable. You said that this started shortly after you installed it. Did you install it as an upgrade or did you install it to a freshly formatted hard drive?

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I do hope that you have an AV program installed? This has been happening quite often lately due to virus'.

Glenn

4. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

5. Todd Hochard

6. John_Berger

7. Todd Hochard

It's alive.[​IMG]
    I disconnected the 2nd 45GB hard drive, and the system is back to normal.
    I was reconstructing the sequence in my head on my way home, and it occurred to me that the J: drive was spinning up when the system freaked out. So, I'm guessing that my power supply is not up to task of having two hard drives, a CDRW, and a DVD on it. Oh well, it's four years old, anyway.
    Thanks for the advice, though. I'm off for the latest AV files, and to backup this week's Quicken file.[​IMG]
    Todd

8. John_Berger

9. Todd Hochard

Jumpers are all good. The two-drive setup was working for about two weeks before this. If they're wrong, it sees no drives.
    I think I'm overloading the 5V portion of the power supply. It's only a 200 watt. This case originally had a PII-300 in it, with a single DVD player. Now, it's a PIII-667 with DVD, separate CDRW, and two 45GB drives. I'm actually surprised I didn't have problems before then. I had always wondered where the limit would be on the power supply. I guess I found it.[​IMG] What a weird set of symptoms, though.
    Todd

10. John_Berger