What's new

Posting Again: Help me make my first RPTV set decision! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Hey, everyone. Apologies for posting this again, BUT, due to the errmm...problem last night my previous thread was deleted. Anyway, here is my decision problem.

Would you guys go for bigger size or quality? In around three months I will have saved up enough to take advantage of an opportunity to get either a Toshiba 50H82 or a 42HDX82 (will more than likely be the 50H83/42HDX83 by the time I save up enough). What would you guys go for? Would you go for the higher quality construction of the Toshiba HDX series if it meant sacrificing size? If so, why or why not?

Scott W.

Second Unit
I'd personally go for the 'better quality' TV. Why watch a movie on big screen if it doesn't equal or beat picture and sound at a movie theater? Pick quality over size ANY time.
Later,

Scott

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I vote for size. In the end that is what will matter most. It is hard to by a "bad" RPTV these days. If you have the funds, an ISF calibration is well worth the cost.

Michael.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I think whenever we consider display size, we MUST also factor in desired viewing distance as well as intended primary content. If you only care about the PQ of the best DVDs and HiDef content, bigger size (or rather bigger size-to-viewing-distance ratio) shouldn't be a problem. If you care a lot about regular SD TV programming, then the bigger size will reveal all the problems w/ low-quality content.

And I agree w/ the sentiment that it's hard to be a "bad" RPTV these days. And building the cost of ISF calibration into the TV is a good idea.

BUT what's MOST IMPORTANT is how the TVs look to your own eyes. Everyone's requirements/standards for apparent PQ is somewhat different, so a smaller set w/ slightly better hardware might be best for some while a bigger set w/ slightly inferior hardware might be best for others. And then for some, it just has to be the best of all worlds (w/ price being no real object). :D

_Man_

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Okay, I finally got to see the 42HDX82 at Ken Cranes yesterday. And, WOW, I am amazed with that set. I didn't get to spend that much time with it (nor do comparisons with the 50H82), but from what I saw I really, REALLY like. Looks like the 42HDX82 (or, rather, the HDX83 later) will be my brand-new TV purchase! And, the HDX83 should be even better. Man, I can't WAIT!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks