Posters - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayHiga, Jun 10, 2001.

1. RayHiga

RayHiga Auditioning

Hello,
    I need some general advice with posters for a home theater room.
    Basically what are some of *your* favorite posters that you have?
    I'm sure there are alot that contribute to a good poster,
    - Artwork
    - Quality of Movie
    - Size
    Thera are alot more, I just want some general recommendations.
    Where are some places to buy posters on the internet/retail?
    I usually buy my reprints at Suncoast ($8.99), but their matching frames seem a bit expensive ($25.00).
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ray

2. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

Actually 25.00 for a 27x41 frame isn't too bad compared to what you can find other places. I haven't used them though so I don't know if they are good or not. Allposters.com is decent. I used to order from Rick's movie Graphics, they were always fast on delivery and neveer disappointed.
    I don't have any up in my living room/Theater because I don't have frames yet, but I have quite a collection--nothing of real collector value though, just posters of films that I liked.
    My favorites are anything with Drew Struzan. Check out www.drewstruzan.com. He's done films like Indiana Jones, back to the Future, Romancing the Stone, Star wars, Hook.
    On my want list:
    Braveheart
    Backdraft
    Halloween
    Saving Private Ryan
    Shawshank Redemption
    tons more...
    In my room I want to stick with a mix of classic movies/posters and just films that I like or posters that look neat.
    ------------------
    Crash
    "Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Where does one find the double sided/light box posters? You know, the real modern theatrical posters. If you're a collector, these are supposidly the ones that have greater re-sale value of the newer vintage of movies.
    Dan

4. RayHiga

RayHiga Auditioning

Thanks for the information SteveMc,
    I'm in the same boat as you, I have some posters (Sopranos, Matrix) but no frames yet to put them up.
    I will surely check those sites you listed.
    Ray

5. SteveMc

6. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Go to Ebates and sign up, if you already haven't, and use their portal to get 15% back from Postersfast.com. They have current releases, either one sheets or some double-side posters. MI 2 for example for $14. I've been told that reprints of classic posters will work well in lightbox frames due to the "brighter, heavier stock of the reprint paper."
    I have just entered the world of illuminated movie posters (this week). My frame should arrive soon and I couln't resist ordering a few posters before it arrives.
    Good Luck
    Ron
    www.ebates.com www.postersfast.com

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ray:
    ShowOffDisplays carries a wide variety of frames for your posters. The have some of newer versions that allow you to load your poster in from the front of the frame. Personally I have some of their black metal frames and they look very nice. I have picked up poster frames elsewhere that were poorly constructed and difficult to get your poster into when you get the frame home. These frames allow for easy installation of your poster so you can change out the posters as you get new ones to replace the old ones with.
    Several members on our forum have ordered from them and have been pleased with the products that they offer.
    Rick, one of the owners of ShowOffDisplays, runs a great place, they are easy to work with and if you have any trouble with any of their products they stand behind them without question.
    Parker

9. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I agree with Parker, except for one caviet...I love my DVD display stand ("Now Showing"). But, I did buy one their movie poster frames and was disappointed in the quality. Very thin wood, looked like a DYI and not a professionally produced frame. I think I paid $79 for the frame, so it wasn't overly expensive. I ordered this when it first came out, so they may have improved on the quality..just like the DVD stands used to be heavy duty plastic, but now are steel. I probably could have returned it, but it seemed like a hassle to do so and I questioned whether I was expecting too much for the money.
    Ron
    PS: They are very nice folks that are trying to create a market of inexpensive HT displays etc.

10. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I have a couple movie posters, all are originals, and all are professionally framed. My advice is don't by reprints! A good movie poster is a piece of art. Reprints are a waste of money. Buy something you really like!
    The posters that I have up in my home theater are:
    An American Werewolf In London (this is the poster for a sneak preview of the movie)
    Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2, Dead By Dawn
    Army of Darkness
    (These last three are all Italian movie posters)

11. SteveMc

12. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ron:
    I got the metal frames and they are great!
    Parker

13. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Hey...I just checked out the website for Show Off Displays, and the metal frames look great. Problem is, the minimum quantity for ordering is 2. I was just wondering if anyone was interested in splitting an order (2 ordered, each of us splitting total cost and taking one frame each)? If so, post a reply or email me at [email protected] Thanks...
    Scott Stephens

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I bought a UK version of the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon poster awhile ago on eBay. I got it because it was more wide than vertical, unlike the standard US posters. Unfortunately, it cost me a mint to get framed. Great poster though!
    ------------------
    --
    Donald Roeber
    Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

15. JasonD

JasonD Agent

On my walls I have a 24x36 reprint of Hitchcock's The Birds. You can see the print from the very website I bought it from: http://www.allposters.com/images/18/BIRDSREPR.JPG
    I also have a copy of the Nightmare Before Christmas one sheet original framed. Looks really nice.
    Aside form movie posters I also have smaller, 8X11 black/white prints of people from film. They vary from the Gorillas in Planet of the Apes to the Rat Pack from Ocean's 11. Each is neatly framed.

16. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I was just reviewing the posts and thought I'd drop some comments. Someone had mentioned thinking that $25 or $90 was too much to spend on a poster frame--well, that depends on your own personal dedication and value you put in your posters and display. For reprints, $25 ain't a lot to spend on a poster frame. And if I had an original I was wanting to preserve, I'd count on spending alot more than $25 to frame it. I recently took my original Raiders of the Lost Ark poster to a framing shop and they told me it would cost $250 to frame it!! Now THAT's too much! So, again, it all depends on how much value you place on your posters and displays.
    As a side note, I was curious if the poster frames offered by ShowOffDisplays allow you to place some preservation materials (like acid free mounting board, etc.) with the poster. Any help would be appreciated.
    Also, I think SteveMc's interest in do it yourself framing warrants some investigation. If anyone on the forum has any info on this or knows of a link to a web page that supplies some information on building your own frames, please post it. It can't be THAT difficult to build your own frames (now having said that, I'm sure I'll eat my words).
    Thanks...

17. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    I'm in the process of building my first home theater room. I want to put some posters up and I'm curious about what exactly "original" means. You said you have an original Raiders of the Lost Ark poster. Since you're not George Lucas or Steven Spielberg, I'm assuming that there's more than one original poster. Please excuse my ignorance and thanks for the help.
    As to the original question - the posters I put up will not be about the artwork or designer, but will be movies that had some sort of special meaning or significance in my life. Star Wars, Rocky and Raiders of the Lost Ark come to mind.
    Bill

18. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Original as in the first printing of the posters by the offically licensed poster printing company that would go into first run movie theaters.
    Dan

19. SteveMc

20. Brian King

Brian King Auditioning

How about light damage (fading, streaking, etc)? Specifically sunlight and light from track lighting (incadescent or halogen)?
    Do the posters require a special "cover" to protect the or is the material robust enough to handle light?
    Brian
    ------------------
    Brian