Poster Frames

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, May 3, 2003.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I'm looking to pick up a 27x40 poster frame or two. Where do you guys order your frames? Where can I get the best price?

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I get mine done by a local framer who uses archive quality mats and anti-UV plexiglass. It costs somewhat more but keeps the posters in the best possible shape and I can choose any frame I think goes best with the poster. Shipping on frames can be expensive and hazardous due to their size and delicacy.

I got my Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring bus shelter poster (48x72) framed this way. Had to borrow my grandfather's convertible to get it home but I'm very glad I had it professionally done until I can find a lightbox big enough to really show it off.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

There have been a bunch of discussions about poster frames in the Home Theater Interiors section of the HTF. I used to get mine at Suncoast, until all of the Suncoasts near me were closed by Best Buy. Michael's craft store carries the same brand of frame. I'll be heading there to buy 5 (yikes, that's gonna hurt the wallet!) tomorrow.

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Wal mart sells a pretty decent aluminum colored one for 14.00.
    buyt you may want better

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've used a local art supply and ShowOff Displays. The local shop did a nice job, but it was pretty expensive. ShowOff has an entry level of about $50 which is a pretty nice frame. I bought 2 of them.
    [​IMG]

6. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

What size do you suggest, 27x40 or 27x41

Most posters I have looked at say "approx. 27x40"

I'm afraid these wont fit in a 27x40 frame and I'll be stuck..

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

The poster on the left was a little under 27"x40", so a strip of black paper filled in the top virtually invisibly. The one on the right was a tad over, but I was able to fold the edge under without concealing any of the graphics.

This was fine with me, since they're both fairly inexpensive repros. If I were using collectable posters, no doubt I'd go with custom framing all the way.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

suncoast sells 27x40 occasionally.
    I ordered a custom cut frame from www.americanframe.com or something like that for 16 bucks and got the glass cut locally at a crafts place that does framing.

9. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I went to Hobby Lobby (or Michaels), and bought the modular frames. You buy the top and bottom and then the sides to the correct size, and assemble yourself. I then have the store cut a piece of glass and foam core backing to size. Total price about $25.00.

10. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator