Posted sub board no response so I figure I would try it here...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Craig, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

Receiver w/ two sub outs VS running two subs off one sub out using a "Y" connector

Is there a difference???

I mean are both just splitting the LFE channel???

Another question >>> How would 2 subs sound (using either connection above) if they we're placed on the floor on each side(roughly 1 ft away from side of TV) of a 53" 16:9 HDTV and facing outward to the listening position???

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha amp DSP-A3090, it has a mono sub out and a split sub out(L&R). When using the split outputs, with the main speakers set to 'small' the bass from the front right channel goes to the right sub, and the bass from the left channel to the left sub, the same applies for the surround speakers. The LFE channel is split between both channels. Good idea provided your subs are placed reasonably close to the corresponding main channel speaker. My subs (downfiring shiva sonotubes) are currently placed in the front corners of my (small) room, about a foot either side of the TV, behind my mains, before that I had them in the same corner which gave higher SPL. I plan to move them back to this position soon. The positioning really depends on your room, you need to get some subs and experiment to see what sounds good to you.

Harry.