Postal Service wants our money for delivery of unknown letter

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by RobR, Aug 19, 2003.

1. RobR

RobR Second Unit

We received a delivery notice in our mailbox from the U.S. Postal Service. It says they're holding a letter for us and will redeliver tmw, with a postage due of which I can't tell exactly given the messy handwriting (it's an article requiring payment). It's either $54, $50 or 5(the symbol for cent). My wife and I have no idea what the letter is for. I won't be home tmw or the next day, after which time it's available for pick-up (my wife is currently stuck in Arizona where she couldn't get a ride to the airport because of the gasoline shortgage). How do we go about finding out the content of the article?

The only thing we're expecting in the mail is an award check for my wife's passing the National Board for professional teaching standards last year, but I seriously doubt that a paper check would carry a postage fee of $50 or 5 cents. By the way, any National Board certified teacher here?

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Just wait for it to be held at the post office. Go to the post office and they will show you what the letter is without making you pay for it and if its something you are expecting then pay whats due.
    I'm sure it isnt $50 due...probably .50 cents

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The great majority of postage due mail is for 23 cents.

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I thought mail without enough postage gets returned to sender.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Sometimes, but often it just gets delivered after the Postage Due is paid.
    As a rural carrier I have the option of paying this for you, out of my pocket, leaving you the letter, and trust that you'll put the amount in the little brown envelope to pay me back. This saves you a trip to the post office.
    Of course, I don't have to do that, I can just leave you a Postage Due Notice and leave it at that.
    In my case, I take care of the customers I know & trust.
    For so many reasons it just make good sense to be nice to the mailman. [​IMG]