What's new

Post your Theater for Simon Cowell (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
My Theater Is In the works Right now.I just Bought My new House and the basement is unfinished so I have a Blank Canvas on which to create. Not sure as far as the lookof the theater But Im Using my Old gear from my Old system Minus my RPTV.Im Going with a FPTV maybe with an 84" screen.

Up Stairs Im Doing a Pioneer Elite 43" Plasma and a simple 2 Channel system. a marantz intergrated ( which I just heard and is amazing )A pair of B&W's ( have nt decided which ones ) and My new Velodyne Sub.

Bedroom I havea Yamaha receiver and a pair of PSB B-25's Got to Hide the wires :)

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Jeremy: Yeah, they can be dimmed, but the camera brings it out more. It's not quite as bright in person. As for the cases affecting the sound, I went with separate display cases for this reason. Originally, I had planned on going with large glass cabinets, but decided against it when I found out the effect it has on sound. I'm sure the acrylic cases affect the sound somewhat, everything in the room will, but I, my wife, nor my friends haven't noticed any difference. There is always acoustic treatment if I need to. :)

Francois: Man, I really like that room. To me, the wires being seen just adds flavor. Gives it a "techy" room look. Looks like you have a real nice home too. :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Thanks Louis! My loft is basically a big 950 square foot box thirty feet wide on each side. The building is a converted textile mill built in 1909. I conceived my home theater with the mindset that I still wanted it to be a living room. Since I live alone, I don't need a whole lot of rooms, and I definitely didn't want a dedicated home theater room.

Your theater is very nice, but it does SCREAM for a front projection system. Two main advantages: the screen is MUCH bigger, and the screen depth falls to only a couple of inches. Your room becomes so much bigger, yet you still have this gigantic screen in front of you completly dominating your field of view.

Scott, don't worry too much about the garden hose look. I have so many cables between the computer and the equipment rack that I have TWO of them! :D Also, your room set-up demonstrates a common problem with most houses these days: they were not designed to handle today's modern display technologies. With screens becoming bigger all the time, most houses simply don't have a well placed blank wall to accomodate such big screen.

Todd, where do you and your kids find the time to watch all of those DVDs? :) Also, what kind of cameras do you have in the display case? Is that an 8mm Bolex I see there?

Finally Todd, I showed my rack! Now let's see yours! :D

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Francois: I've been looking into it, and will most likely do it next year. I know I'll go bigger, but I'm just not sure if it'll be projection or maybe a 73" dlp set. There are windows behind that black curtain, and I'm just not sure how a screen up against that would be affected by the afternoon sun. Either way, yeah, I'll be going bigger within the next year. Right now, I've got a few grand tied up in collectibles that'll be shipping soon, and, right now, that is priority. :) Thanks for the compliment. :D BTW, You got one hell of a nice rack dude. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Unlike Steve Christou, I like a more intimate and cosy style. And I want to match my HT to my mood-of-the-moment. So here's is the one in my basement, I just haven't figured out yet where to place the sub. The other one, on the second floor, makes a more extravagant statement, I won't post a pic now, lest I receive too much critique.

majesticproscenium1.jpg

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh: Isn't that a little too ornate Cees?

Here's my previous set-up, a little more intimate perhaps, notice the Egyptian motif here, I can't tell you how many times we watched the Mummy films in here. :crazy:

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Heres my gripes, No sweet spot sicne theres only 2 chairs. The carpet is ugly and the room obviously is dusty. (that or its haunted)
Oh, also no center channel.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Fluance SV-10s are the towers, and SV-6 for surrounds. I want a center, the issue for me is, where do I put it?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
This may seem a bit presumptuous, but are you sure that the side firing woofer is supposed to face inwards? The fluance website displays the speaker in the other configuration:

You might have better luck moving the electronics elsewhere, and placing a center in the void, on a stand. Just a thought.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Scott, Now I do feel like a contestant on American Idol. ;) To answer your comments...
-Money is the major issue. I have 3 kids and they pretty much suck up most of the free income. And your close to where I got the stuff from. The display case was from a business next door to my office ($50) the lighted movie display was from a great ebay deal ($20!). The lighted mylar display I made with my dad...for a lot cheaper than the ones I have seen online. And it holds a lot more mylars.

-The theater is never done. And the light is the next to be worked on. Unfortunately, the room was finished off before I made the theater. So electrical work is much more difficult.

-The pics are there for necessity as much as anything. I had no other place to put them...As you can see the rest of the basement if filled with my autograph collection. My wife has declared that any and all home theater equipment and memorabilia shall remain below ground. :)

Here is pics of my equipment....

Infocus 4805
[url=http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/6797/projector0el.th.jpg] [/url]

Zenith DVB318 progressive scan dvd player
Onkyo HT-R510 6.1 dts receiver
Sony Laserdisc player
[url=http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/3301/equip8wf.th.jpg] [/url]

Like you finally said..For a movie lover its great. Which is what I am. And I all my and kids friends love it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
todd- then it's perfect! :)

Again, don't take these comments to heart (I love your theater). With all the patronizing going on I wanted to create a thread that would throw out some objectively harsh comments, just so we'd at least consider what our friends & neighbors are thinking when they visit. ;) And at the same time, improve our theaters visually, and maybe acoustically as well.

In my case, thanks to Mark's comments I'm trying to figure out a smarter way to hide the cabling.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"This may seem a bit presumptuous, but are you sure that the side firing woofer is supposed to face inwards? The fluance website displays the speaker in the other configuration:"

I wondered how long before somebody asked that. I had them in the configuration shown above for the first 2 years I owned the speakers. About a month ago I decided to expirement, and switched them back and forth untill I was set on the woofers facing eachother. It just sounds better to me.
My room is much bigger than the photos would lead you to beleive. The left speaker is about 20 ft away from the nearest wall.
I also read an article or two that suggested the idea of facing the woofers towords eachother is done often.

"You might have better luck moving the electronics elsewhere, and placing a center in the void, on a stand. Just a thought. "

Ive been considering that. But, again, not sure where to put it. Ive had a few ideas but im not sure how to implement them. There is a hidden closet in the far corner next to the right main which contains the breaker box. If it was wider I would try build an inwall style av rack. Unfortunatly, I dont think making that closet wider is something I could easily do.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
For Parker....

Regarding the Trek autographs. I got them through mail, shows & dealers. On the original Trek show. I was able to get sigs of some of the minor recurring characters...Bruce Hyde "Kevin Riley", Booker Bradshaw "Dr.M'Benga, John Winston "Transporter Chief Winston". On the TNG pic. I will be redoing the matte. I was at a show where all of the cast (except Stewart & Frakes). And I was able to get them all to sign a 11x17 photo. So I will rematte the photo with that pic and just leave the cards of the ones who were not there.
[url=http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/556/trektos7yr.th.jpg] [/url]
[url=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7831/tng8vp.th.jpg] [/url]
[url=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1143/ds92zd.th.jpg] [/url]
[url=http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/553/voyager9ih.th.jpg] [/url]
[url=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1461/enterprise0ed.th.jpg] [/url]

Scott, I am not upset. I am the most critical. I am constantly redesigning and changing things. Always, something I am not happy with. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks