Post your J6P to OAR conversion success story here

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I know there's a lot of success stories scattered all over this forum, but let's post them ALL here.
    I dunno if my stories are successful or not. My mom's friend I talked to on the phone and my half sister I talked to on the phone were like "OH REALLY!?" Then when my aunt was over from Texas, I meantioned letterbox to her and told her why the black bars were there. She seemed to understand. The other day, before the family reunion, I was at my grandma and grandpa's trailor where they parked for the family reunion, and I was showing them pictures. Grandma wanted to know what type of camera I got that took those pictures. Then I mentioned panoramic in the movies. Yes, letterbox. They have a 13" tv, and the pictures I took were the right size to show them what it would look like on a TV without cutting everything off. Then I laid the picture on the table and squared my hand over it to show her what it would look like if it was reformatted to fit a TV. Well, she and grandpa seemed to understand quite well. They know I'm smart. [​IMG]
    Also, one of my brother's friends is a J6P and I can NOT get him to convert. He says he's seen the examples. He still likes fullscreen better. And it's hard to sit down and talk with him about it. Also, the people that own the video store around here and Joe and Jane 6 packs. Although, they do understand the process, but still want their TVs filled. Geeze.
    Anyway, post all your success stories here. I wanna hear them. Give me any tips on converting.

2. Ken Garrison

Anybody?

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    My father wasn't a J6P (like 99% of people who don't really care, unlike the myth that it's either love or hate [​IMG] ) but he didn't really care that much.
    I showed him the DVD of Gladiator and he said that he was wondering why the top and bottom parts of the picture were missing. I told him that the film is meant to be matted not unlike a painting. He said that he found the composition a lot more even than the unmatted/P&S version.
    Even with dual-sides, he watches Dirty Harry and Blazing Saddles letterboxed because you get more picture! When he got to see the Ben-Hur DVD, he said it was like watching a new movie.
    Educate, don't just say OAR is better "just because."

4. Ken Garrison

Yeah, show examples if you can. That may increase your chances on converting them over to widescreen.

5. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Is there really a need to worry about this as much? I mean, most people I know with DVD (j6P, all of us!) love the widescreen. And now that Harry Potter is clearly showing in numbers that the Widescreen is outselling the P&S...well, you can't get any better indication of the future than that.

I am comfortable that things are going well for OAR and Widescreen.

Ever the optimist,

Phil

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

We are slowly winning the war, the virtuall widescreen exclusivity of DVD has really struck a great blow, but the war isn't won until P&S is outlawed in all its forms (that includes cropping 2.35:1 to 1.78:1!) from our store shelves.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've converted quite a few people that I know, including my parents, sort of. They used to hate it, now they're indifferent about it, and with MY parents, trust me, that's progress! [​IMG]
    However my greatest victory is my boss and his wife. He used to hate widescreen, but I just kept bombarding him with info and visual aids from a book that I compiled that I call my 'Widescreen Bible'. He took it home, read through it, showed it to his wife, and practically converted overnight! That's all he'll watch now.
    The struggle continues...

8. Ken Garrison

Everytime I go to Walmart or whereever, I rearrange the dual releases. The other day, Harry Potter was kinda disorganized with the OARs in the back. So I did my best to get most of them to the front. I did that to some other movies too and cringed when I walked by a DVD player and a Mono TV playing Snow Dogs. I almost turned it off!!

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

10. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

11. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Ken,
    I did that at Borders W/ the harry potter ones, and the guy there yelled at me. I plainly asked him "What was I doing wrong? It's not like I was messing them up." (they were all on their sides and stuff..(sweet voice and innocent face coming up)**I was simply trying to put them back up nicely on the shelf, if some of the full-frame versions got put in the back, whoops**

Long story short, he told us to stop or get out. So we left. I'd rather not shop there anymore.

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Ken, I did that once at Target with Ocean's 11. I put Widescreen copies in front of the Full Screen ones. I did it, and did not get yelled it. I just made it look like I was reading the back, and putting back it in the wrong (or right for us pro-OAR people) spot. I wanted to do the same to AI and Jurassic Park 3, but there were no widescreen copies to do it with [​IMG]. I just hate when stores only carry Full Screen. Why do all the stores now say also available in widescreen? They are making people think that Full Screen is normal. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

14. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Tony-B DVD? How does these names get by? [​IMG]

15. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Well I converted a family friend recently. He's my dad's and mom's friend, but he and I talk alot on the net. He's real big into movies like me, so we always talk about movies. He complained about widescreen, so I told him that it's better and gave him links that I found from here. He looked at the sites and said he saw a difference. He then watched widescreen movies as much as he could. It really didn't sink in for him till last month when he came over to go see Attack of the Clones with me. He was here early, so I showed him the clip on the Die Hard 5 Star set. That's when it really sunk in for him, and now he only watches widescreen movies, when they are available of course. Incidentally I got him into Star Wars heavily too. Now he can't wait for Episode 3, and wants to see it with me.

16. Ken Garrison

The Target I went to only had a Fullscreen copy of Jurassic Park 3. I mentioned it to one of the guys working there. But, other than that, I rearranged the dual releases as usual.

17. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

18. David Stone

David Stone Stunt Coordinator

My father used to hate "those damn black bars". He is now a letterbox-or-nothing fan. How? I gave him his favorite movie "Fiddler On The Roof" on DVD (letterbox, of course).

As this is his favorite film, he knew it well from repeatedly watching his P&S VHS version. When he watched his letterbox DVD, he was stunned. Because the film has a hefty OAR of 2.35:1, he was amazed how much of the film was getting cropped out on his VHS version. Now he completely understands why if a film isn't shown in its OAR then it's not really worth watching.

19. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

The biggest problem in this is that people just aren't TOLD why widescreen is better.

That's why pan and scan-only releases are such a problem. Instead of EDUCATING people about aspect ratios, pan and scan-only releases are NURTURING the mass-ignorance.

20. Ken Garrison