What's new

Post your desktop (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Rob, how do you get the transparent effect?
Edit: I found a program called Actual Transparent Windows that might do that. Let me know if that's what you used.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Edit: Nevermind, i found the jaguar skin.. wow its nice...

How do i get the text of the icons on the desktop transparent? Right now they're the color of the background, and not the desktop...

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Greg -> I use a program called Glass2k, you can pick it up here http://www.chime.tv/products/glass2k.shtml I like using it since I can control the amount of transparency via a keystroke combination. Works great with things like media player and the taskbar that I want to keep track of but not neccesarily be an eyesore.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
These have been very creative, but it's especially nice to see some non-Windows desktops, too.
I've personally been trying Linux off and on for a number of years, starting way back at Red Hat 6.1. I'm now using Mandrake 9.1 and let me tell you Linux may finally be ready for prime time! KDE 3.1 is a beautiful desktop manager and very skinable. Plus it's fun to learn to tinker under the hood using a good ol' terminal. But don't get me wrong. It's not necessary to use the command line to get Linux to do what you want it to. User friendliness has improved greatly.

How is Lindows Brian? It's one of the few distros I haven't tried.

And where are the MacOSX screenshots? We need to see some Aqua!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
How is Lindows Brian? It's one of the few distros I haven't tried.
I really like LindowsOS. It’s based on Debian, which is my favorite Linux flavor. Their newest version, 4.0, is very polished, quick, ultra-stable, and a genuine pleasure to use. And the “pleasure” part, I just can’t stress enough. Sure, the KDE desktop features are fantastic, but I had no idea how great it would feel to finally have an OS alternative good enough to kick Windows out of my house forever. With the latest LindowsOS version, Linux has finally “arrived” on the desktop, at least for my purposes. I’m finally Microsoft-free, and I couldn’t be happier.
Now that I’ve said that, I must confess that I’m actually embarrassed to admit that I like Lindows because of how badly it has been received in the Linux community. Frankly, I don’t understand it. As one Red Hat user on a forum put it: “Now that Lindows has opened the floodgates, we’re going to have a bunch of ex-Windows users running Linux on their desktops! And who needs that?” Huh? I fail to see the problem here. In contrast, the Lindows community is absolutely fantastic and totally devoid of the “geek elite” mentality that strives to “keep out the riff-raff.” I think Linux should be for the masses, and while Lindows is concentrating on taking market share away from Microsoft, the other Linux distros (or at least some very vocal people in their communities) seem to be concentrating on taking market share away from each other. That’s just sad.
Even so, I chose Lindows because of its qualities as an OS and to suit my purposes as a program developer, not because of its corporate philosophy or welcoming community. That I agree with its corporate philosophy (“compete with Microsoft, not Linux”) and enjoy its community (“dumb Windows users can play, too”) is just gravy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks