What's new

Post your blind DVD purchases here (1 Viewer)

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Braindead :star: :star: :star:
Gladiator :star: :star: :star: :star:
Great Dictator, The :star: :star: :star: :star:
Limelight :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Once Upon A Time In America :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Once Upon A Time In The West :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Pianist, The :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Rosemary's Baby :star: :star: :star: :star:
Two Mules For Sister Sara :star: :star: :star:

Overall pretty good "blind" purchases. :)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
21 Grams and Onibaba are both excellent.
I got Onibaba blind as well.

I have so many blind buys in my collection, hundred of them. Very rare am I completely disappointed.
The biggest disappointment was Old School. It just wasn't funny, and remains the only film I have sold off without replacing with an SE.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Matchstick Men :emoji_thumbsup:
House Of Sand & Fog - Mixed, leaning towards :thumbsdown: Great performances and a very strong 2/3, but in the final act, the film just falls apart. Worth seeing for a beautiful looking film and performances.(Also made me realize no matter how much I tried to fight it the past few years I still love Jennifer Connelly)

Yousaf

Second Unit
I actually haven't watched most of my blind buys yet, but here goes:

Black Mask 2: City of Masks - I need to exercise some self-control...a $5.99 DVD does not mean it needs to be bought.

Highlander III - I actually watched this one. Horrible movie, it was the fullscreen version and PQ was HORRIBLE. It was only $4 though...how could I resist?

Once Upon a Time in the West - Bought because it was recommended in the DVD reviews. I'll watch it when I'm bored and have lots of free time.

Titan A.E. - Got it as a subwoofer demo disc since it was only $7. Haven't watched it yet because I haven't gotten my subwoofer in yet, and I don't see myself watching it more than once so I need to make the viewing count :)

Diana Krall: Live in Paris - Another sound demo disc, I watched this one. Turns out I'm not too nuts about Diana Krall's music, and the video tends to distract me from the audio.

Cirque du Soleil presents Dralion - I like shiny stuff, and this DVD is a shiny Superbit. I also really like Cirque du Soleil, so I'll probably watch this sometime soon.

Blue Man Group: The Complex Rock Tour Live - I love BMG and was expecting one of their shows, which this was not. I'm a little disappointed in this but it was cheap too so I won't complain.

Drop Dead Gorgeous - It was only $7, and people recommended it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Showgirls - I decided to make my collection a bit edgier so $10 boobs it was. Uhhh...I guess it didn't disappoint in that regard, but as a movie is wasn't that great. Then again, it is Showgirls so I guess it is perfect for what it is :)

H

Hank

DVD's I purchased blind were based on reviews here & DVD File,
They were:

Black Hawk Down
Daredevil
Finding Nemo
Gangs Of New York
Pirates Of The Carribean
Road To Perdition
One Upon A Time In Mexico
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I just revisited a movie I bought initially blind.
Boondock Saints. What a great movie it is! Anyone who likes well made action films with some quirkiness, definitely check this out. It can be found pretty cheap too!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
some recent blind buys for me:

The Big Bounce
The Late Show
The Rock Hudson Doris Day Collection
Meet Me In St. Louis

have only watched Late Show so far, but did enjoy it quite a bit.

in the next few weeks i'm considering picking up
3 Women (Criterion)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (platinum edition)
Freaks & Geeks

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
I have made a few blind purchases and have never been unsatisfied. Its usually after I do tons of research and read tons of reviews so I know what I am getting into. A couple times I almost made blind purchases and then later saw the film and was glad I didn't buy it (example-Mulholland Drive, Blue Velevet, and House of 1,000 Corpses). Should I also post DVDs I got as presents that I had never seen before or just movies I bought that I hadn't seen before?

Bought with out seeing (out of 10)

American Splendor-10
Apocalypse Now-8
Bad Taste-7
Barton Fink-8
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker-7
Blood Simple-8
Casablanca-9
An Evening with Kevin Smith-7
Hard Eight-9
JFK-9
Legend-7
Miller's Crossing-10
Pi-8
Requiem for a Dream-8
The Usual Suspects-6-Probably the one I regret, if I had seen before I probably wouldn't have bought it. Maybe it was all the hype before hand but I just thought this was a pretty average film
Zatoichi vol 1-Have not watched yet
Charade: Criterion-8
The Hidden Fortress: Criterion-8
Notorious: Criterion-8
Seven Samurai: Criterion-10
Yojimbo: Criterion-9
Throne of Blood: Criterion-9

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
blind DVDs:
  • The End/Destroying America (two pack)
  • The One (got from blockbuster on a buy 2 get 1 free deal)
  • Tenacious D- Complete maserworks (listened to the CD, does that count?)
  • Three Kings
  • Scratch (killer documentary)
  • Evil Dead
Overall, I've been pleased with just buying on a hot tip.
Usually they aren't as expensive anyway. I would never buy a Criterion just because someone said it was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks