What's new

Post your best A/V bargains here. (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I will start with my most recent and totally awesome bargain.

I like pawnbrokers a lot, they frequently get stuff for insanely cheap so in turn sell it for a good price. And of coarse sometimes they don't catch stuff and I get really lucky, and has become a trend over the past 3-4 years.

Cash America Pawn is a incorporated pawnbroker with enough resources to catch anything, but I guess some things slip through. I went to 2 Cash America Pawns today. The first one had a 20" Daewoo flat screen crt for 50 bucks because the RF in was broken, which I don't need and would never use. I thought about getting for my room, but decided to wait, glad I did.

I then went to the other Cash America Pawn and saw a good deal on some NHT 1.5's but the cosmetic damage was to great and I have to many sets of speakers laying around, I even use some to sit on. :laugh: So even at $60, a great buy, I felt that it wasn't needed. Then the sky openned up, I saw a nearly perfect HSU STF-2 sitting on the bottom shelf by itself with an awesome surprise, the price tag..........$69.99
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Needless to say I was shocked to see such a low price on a mint HSU anything, they had more on one of those stupid Sony 8" 50 watt "powered woofers". Needless to say I quickly grabbed the sucker and put down the cash for it, and with much excitement took it home. I did test it in the store, but they have 7 day cash back with receipt so no worries.

A very impressive piece, I had always heard HSU was a Bang for Buck sub, but for $70 it doesn't get anymore Bang for Buck than that. I like the sound, extension, and output. Pretty darn nice, though can't compete with the M&K MX-100 so the HSU goes in the bedroom. But who cares, I am just happy I got such a crazy deal, Yey! :D

I prey on the ignorance of pawnbrokers. they could have easily sold that for over $100, easily. Though I do feel sort of bad for the sap who sold it for probably $30 or less.

So if you like you can post some of your greatest deals here and your responces, Thank You.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I love pawn shops. I hear you about when they let something slip through. Most of my deals come in the form of DVD which I hesitate to describe for fear of it getting out. But here goes, a local place has a tiered pricing structure of $11.99 for new releases then 9.99 for recent 7.99 for current and 4.99 for everything else then 2.99 for kung-fu. However, the structure isn't on the DVD release its the THEATRICAL release. Citizen Kane? 4.99. all my criterions - the bank dick, seven samuraii, rashamon, M, unbearable lightness of being and more all 4.99. Oh and I forgot to say, all movies are actually the next price LOWER on the schedule. so, Citizen Kane? 2.99. Criterions? 2.99. Oh, and I forgot to say, BUY 4 GET 1 FREE!!! I go there every day. Now, they do't run the deals all the time but, I rarely go in with out coming out feeling like a winner. Also I've been going for about 7 years so I've had time to make some impressive scores. I also bought one of those cool looking Kitchenaid stand mixers for $15. Man, I love pawn shops.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
List of A/V stuff I bought from pawnbrokers:

PSB Century 600i Floorstanding speakers-$100

M&K MX-100 push-pull subwoofer-$350

Rotel RSP-960AX pre/pro-$100

Pioneer Elite PD-65 Stable platter CD player-$90

Toshiba SD-9000 Flagship DVD player-$40

Philips CD-680 CD player with CDM-4 transport and TDA-1451 DAC-$5

3 Boston HD5 bookshelf speakers-$20

Carver AV-505 Five Channel Amplifier-$300 (Not the greatest on the value scale but still a good amp IMO)

As you can see, my bargains know no end.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like you live amongst the greatest people in the world - they buy great stuff then when no longer need it unload it for nothing. Around here most people buy crap then want more than what they paid for it. The speakers I see are nothing less than pitiful. But, I get all my video game carts for a buck so I'm not complaining. Oh and Sopranos seasons 1-5 $15 each (no bfgof though)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I just go to the pawn shops on a frequent basis, there are about 8 pawnshops in this town some of them suck some don't.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
8!!?? So you DO live in paradise! I've got 2 but I never go to the other one because they sell the stuff that the other place would'nt even take. VHS are like 3-4 bucks!! They do have a lot of really awful hip-hop jewelry though.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
One of my best bargains was my first subwoofer. This was back in the the endless internet coupon days in late 99 or 2000. I can't remember the name of the site, but the concept was "the more people who buy something the cheaper it gets". For first time customers you got free shipping and a $50 coupon. I bought an Infinity BU-120 12" sub for pretty decent price. Later, when I upgraded to an SVS I put the Infinity on eBay and sold it for more than I paid for it. The guy who bought it met me locally and paid with cash. The net result is I got paid over $50 for using the sub for 2 years :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Not bad. I think I could sell my HSU STF-2 for at least double what I paid for it probably more.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Mine would have to be my Yamaha 6.1 receiver that Sears was clearancing out when they moved from separates to HTiB. It was a display model and was marked down from over $400 to ~$200. I had heard here that they were dropped even further online, so I checked and it was down to ~160 (but not in stock), so I had the salesman scan it and it came up at the lower price. I also had a 10% off coupon that worked on clearance merch so I got out of there under $150 with remote. No box or manual, but I downloaded the pdf.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I got a Onkyo TX-DS787 AV receiver, a $800 7.1 decoding with 6 channel amp (it had 7.1 ins and outs) for a killer price of $100. This thing is THX Select certified DTS-ES, and all that cool stuff. I think the reason for getting it so cheap was the cooling fan wasn't working, so I just put a computer fan on it and Bling, awesome deal.

Justintiime

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
first post here guys, this is a great forum, especially since this is an all new hobby for me and I definitely need to learn more!

My deals, all struck on ebay, are as follows:

1 Pair Cerwin Vega VS-120 Floor standing speakers: $100 Fronts
1 Pair Cerwin Vega VS-150 Floor standing speakers: $115 Fronts also
1 Pair Cerwin Vega VS-120 Floor standing speakers: $90 (rear surrounds)
NAD T751 Home Theatre Receiver: $120
NAD 214 Amplifier: $90

Now, I know its not the pinnacle of stereo setups, but I think it sounds amazing. So clear and powerful... Plus, for the price, you can HATE CV and NAD stuff and still agree I got a hell of a deal lol

Rock on guys, I hope to learn a lot here!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Great deals on the NAD stuff, and welcome to the Home Theater Forum.

Users who are viewing this thread