What's new

Post when you bought your XBox360 and if it is has broken down or not (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Lets make this thread simple,
post when you bought your 360, if it has been problem free since your purchase date, or if it has been repaired or replaced. Again, even if you have had no problems...since most only post if they have had problems. ANd always feel free to add an update if you run into any problems down the road.

I'll start off (though maybe its too soon for me) purchased mine last week. Problem free so far...but purchased Best Buy's extended 2 year warranty after reading horror stories on several forums.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
Purchased new August 15. Red ring o' death 1 week later.

1st replacement unit 3 weeks later. Disc drive picks and chooses when it wants to load games, sometimes never. Returned 1 week later.

2nd replacement unit 3 weeks later. Play any game for 5 to 10 minutes screen becomes garbled up with cross-stitch pattern. The system must be reset and the same thing happens 5 minutes later.

10/18: Microsoft has asked me to borrow cables from a friend to see if this fixes the problem which I am trying tonight. They have also informed me that they changed their policy and that I will have to pay for shipping if their POS system has to be replaced again.

HarryEV

Auditioning
I got mine in late March early April. Sometimes when I play Oblivion it gets choppy or worse but I heard these are problems from the game makers and not my system. Other then that I have had no problems at all but I choose to stay on the safe side after some of the problems with the original X-Box and got the extended warrenty through Microsoft. I have a friend who got his 360 at the same time as me and he has had no problems either.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Purchased 12-19-05
Slowly died end of July into August
Replacement has been working fine so far but recently the drive has acted a little funny and it does not always want to recognize the controllers. I'm thinking that slow death number two may be on its' way.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Purchased and received on the day of release. No problems at all.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Purchased mine in February of this year, the system was manufactured in December of '05. Began freezing up the last few weeks, and finally got the 3 red lights of death a week or ago. It's on it's way to MS. Actually, they should have it by now. (I hope.)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
mine was the second shipment from launch (pre-ordered). no problems at all ever

Sevker

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Morton
Purchased at some point between april-may. No problems... Well, my cat did chew my headphones.. But I can't return her. Can I?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
More important and useful than the purchase date is the build date which can be found on the back of the machine.

Mine has a build date of March 2006. I bought it in May, I think. No problems.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Bought mine the Sunday morning Best Buy had them online for 5 minutes on a Sunday(think on Dec.16th), so I guess you could actually consider it a release unit.

No real problems, still running

Manufactured 10/31/05

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Purchased my 360 at launch and had to send it back a few weeks ago. Started locking up and then got the 3 lights. Took about 3 weeks to get it back.

Nathan A

Second Unit
Bought mine in December at the Best Buy "relaunch".

Sent the first one back within two months. Sent the second one back shortly thereafter; sent the third one back probably a month or so after I got it. So yes, I'm on my fourth. I didn't get any extended warranty; MS paid for all repairs and shipping costs.

I don't remember which problems were with which (truthfully, I had most of the problems with most of the machines), but here's what I encountered, some more frequently than others, but none of them just once or twice:

system lock-ups

the "place this disc in an XBox 360 machine to play" message (how this message even gets displayed when the machine is a 360 is beyond me)

failure to boot game after the system intro sequence

blacks getting very noisy (I mean visually; nothing audible...it would usually be red static within the onscreen black. And yes, everything was connected properly.)

I did once get the flashing red lights, but only once I think.

It won't read my hybrid SACD/CD audio disc (I suspect this is intentional, though).

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Anyway, I've had some lock-ups with the current machine, but not too many (although I have only been playing it very, very little). I assume that that's just how it's gonna be. Boo to MS. Did they do ANYTHING with the units that were shipped back for repair, or just send them straight to other customers? I only ask because I had the same problems with each of my replacement systems.

On a side note, I went through five DSs before I got one without a dead pixel. Oh, and I usually have to blow on my NES carts and inside the deck for the games to play. Virtual console? How would I blow on the carts and in the deck?

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

I was actually wondering the same thing. Both the replacement units I've received had different problems which I'm assuming the previous owner had sent it to them to fix. I'm guessing if the system powers on it's ready to be shipped to another customer whether it works like it should or not.

PS. I purchased a new unit 2 months ago and I'm still waiting to get a unit I can actually use. I'm waiting for my third return box now.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Bought mine the last week of December 2005; no issues so far with the console itself, but one of my wireless controllers is starting to act up a bit--every once in a while, when used a bit "vigorously" the left analog stick will act up and function like the left trigger or shoulder button.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Purchased Dec 2005. 3 red rings this month (Oct 2006), returned to MS for repair, got back after 2 weeks, working fine as of 10/24/06.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks