What's new

Post Office Use Of the "Segway HT" Continues To Provide Positive Results (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I saw this. It sounds like the USPS folks are pleased with the tests they have done so far. I am still convinced that the SEGWAY will find its place and be quite useful in many different applications.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Hey, they'll test it in Chandler, AZ (about 80 minutes from here). It would almost be worth it to drive there to see one. :)
/Mike

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
A couple of thoughts...

How much did the USPS pay for these things? (I know the initial batch was free, but I'm sure the manufacturer is licking its lips at the potential purchase order from the USPS.) Look for another postal increase to pay for these.

The article listed Bronx, NY as one of the five test regions. Isn't that one of the most dangerous areas of the country? If you were a mail carrier, would you feel safe knowing you were driving the newest ultra-cool, ultra-expensive toy?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
The Bronx is not one of the most dangerous areas in the United States... you''ve seen too many movies! Like any large metro area it has good and bad areas. And your comment about a postal increase due to purchasing Segway's is a stretch. We're geting an increase anway, Segway or not. They cost about $8,000 a piece for the industrial model. I don't know if the PO is paying that or not. LIghten up, :)

Andy_S

Second Unit
How much did the USPS pay for these things?
I think the assumption is that it will pay for itself by requiring less people to deliver mail. One mailman can do the work of 2 or 3 mailmen so they wouldn't need to hire more people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks