post-FFX withdrawl syndrome...(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonK, Jan 28, 2002.

1. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Hey gang, as the thread title suggests, I just finished FFX and will soon be wondering what to do with all the extra time. I'll be going into FFX withdrawl.
    I know there is another Final Fantasy X thread around, but I didn't want to turn it into a spoiler discussion, so I started a new one. Again, SPOILERS FOLLOW...READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!
    It took me about 54 hours, but last night I finished the game. Overall I'd rate it in my top 3 favorite FF games, with number 3 (6 in Japan) being #1.
    I really liked the new battle system, it reminded me a bit of Grandia 2's system. Plus, I liked the sphere grid, particularly after you get a bunch of 'friend sphere's.' I ended up making Tidus and Auron powerhouses, and Yuna/Lulu had a ton of cool spells.
    But my biggest beef with the game is how linear the first 40 hours are. It took me that long to get to the point where you input coordinates in the airship. The most fun I had with the game was running around doing the sidequests...getting Yojimbo, the Magus sisters, and some of the ultimate weapons. And I thought the Omega dungeon was a blast, too. I just wish there was more of that stuff.
    Sure, I could capture more monsters and go for the Omega Gold weapon, now that the game is back in its case, it'll sit there for a while so I can get caught up on the stacks of games/DVD's that accumlated while I was playing FFX.
    The biggest bummer about FFX, though? That this is it for a while. We all know that FFXI is going to be online-based, and perhaps no 1-player mode will be included.
    Square has not convinced me that I 'need' FFXI. The cost of the game, plus the cost of the broadband adaptor, plus the cost of getting cable over dial-up, plus the possibility of a pay-to-play system has me leaning towards no-sale. Which means no Final Fantasy for a while.[​IMG] (There's always FF Tactics though.)
    Biggest Bummer #2: No Odin Aeon!!!
    Biggest Shock: That my character's were so powered up from sidequesting that my Magus Twins Delta Attack killed Seymour with one hit. I just kind of chuckled, then took out jecht with ease, too.
    Biggest Cop-Out: That Square would program all of your character's to cast Auto-Life during the Yu Yevon 'battle.' Call me old-fashioned, but what happened to the SNES days where a Final Fantasy boss would wax you? No auto-life, just back to a save point. Tough. (Again, the odds were stacked in my favor, but still...Auto-Life automatically...)
    Well, that's my long-winded post. I'm curious to read what other's who finished thought of the game, if anyone beat Omega Gold, thoughts on FFXI, the ending (a letdown) or anything else FF.
    Your pal,
    Jason

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I, too, loved FFX. Took me around 65 hours (after looking back, I think its closer to 63).

After beating it, I kept doing stuff. I have all the overdrives for Tidus and Auron, have the Attack Reels for Wakka, and just need Nova for Kimahri. I have all the aeons, all the final weapons, all the sigils, and 4 crests (damn Thunder Plains). All I pretty much need to do is max out my characters and aeons, finish getting the sigils, finish getting Wakka's reels, and finish capturing monsters.

There is a way to get 99 sphere levels in one battle (about 10 minutes or so) but it requires fighting Don Tonberry, but I can't get into a fight with a Tonberry, so I can't do it. Damn.

I helped my friend beat it last Saturday. He was underwhelmed by the ending after I talked about how great it was, and apon seeing it the second time, I wondered "so where is the Final Fantasy theme song during the ending credits?" since it has been in each game (as far as I can remember). I remember it in 7, 8, and 9.

If I had to rank it agains the others, the FFX battle/development system would be first (second-FF7, third-FF6/FF9), the story would be first, even though its a little linear for the most part (second-FF9, third-FF6), and the ending would be second best (first-FF9, third-FF8).

3. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Morgan, the only spot that I recall fighting Tonberry monsters was in Yojimbo's temple. The master Tonberry hangs out in Omega weapon's area.

As for the ending, I was very underwhelmed. I thought it was way too short, considering how much time is spent in the game watching cinema's. I expected a nice 15 minute ending or so. Plus, the ending could be figured out if you 'read bewtween the lines' all game. I figured Auron would be sent, that Tidus was a dream, and when it all happened I just kind of went "meh." So while it wasn't a horrible ending by any means, with how good the rest of the game is, I expected more.

I agree with you on missing the Final Fantasy 'crystal theme' I waited for a few minutes while "The End" was on screen, hoping the music would change. It did not.

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

5. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I have this game but have yet to play it... Im still trying to get past Halo. But Im also pretty bummed out about the "online only" aspect of FFXI.

I've never been much of an online gamer - I will when Star Wars GAlaxies comes out, but I don't see myself spending the time online to play a game that some people will surely devote their life to.

I read in a recent magazine article that games like Everquest and Ultima online are filled with characters who are maxed to the hilt with all the good weapons and money and no newbies are joining... gee, I wonder why. Sounds like I'll have to pass on FFXI.

6. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I'm at 94 hours and still going strong.
    For as many days as I've had it works out to 3 hours a day!! Thats like a part time job. I have lost contact with family and friends.
    I've also sounded off a letter to Squaresoft about Final Fantasy International and how th U.S. will get screwed when it comes to the additional ending on that version.[​IMG]

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the ending could have been better, but for what it was, I enjoyed it a lot.

Is it the crystal theme or the crossing the bridge theme from FF1? Or are they the same thing?

The one aspect of the game I liked is how the story went by without being overbearing or shoving the love story in your face. It slowly developed and you could see it go on, finally building up to the "moment" that two characters share.

Love this game.

8. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Morgan,
    I could be wrong when I called it the 'crystal theme.' That's just always what I'd heard it referred to as.
    Jeff,
    I know what you mean! It takes me a few games to get into any RPG, but once I'm in, that's the only game I play, my DVD's stack up, homework gets laughed at, sleep is no longer needed...etc. Actually, when I finished FFX I went on a FF 'bender' playing from 1 AM til 5:30 AM. I slept like a log til 1:30 the next day.[​IMG]
    -Jason

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

One day I played FFX from about noon to 1 AM straight. Stopped maybe once or twice.

Well FFX has officially sold 4 million copies (according to GameSpot). I hope this will help Square out of their slump.