possibly looking for new processor

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Shawn Solar, May 31, 2003.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Thinking of buying a used one. I see a couple used rotel 1066's and some older lexicon dc-1 and mc-1 for $1000 and up. I want a better sound with DD and DTS and really don't need DPL2 and 7.1. I prefer stuff like adjustable crossovers and "tweakability" What are some good sounding pre/pro's? I got a sr-7000 at this time.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

What about two channel audio or multi-channel audio (SACD or DVD-A)? I own the Rotel and love it, but, if I was only going to use it for HT, I'd probably go Lexicon. However, you won't be using Logic 7, which I hear is superb.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

By the way, here's a good link to some MC-1's for sale over at Audiogon. Can't personally vouch for the seller, but he seems to have his recommendations in order.

Lexicon Link here

4. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I heard the same about logic 7. It can make convincing surround from 2-channel sources. I use 5-channel stereo now for satellite and Cable. The remote has to be easy to use as well, for my fiance's sake. I like the rotel cause it is fairly new and featured packed. The older lexicon's are probably a no nonsense aproach to sound quality, but without component switching and all the bells and whistles. I think they both have adjustable crossovers. Have you compared your rotel to anything else? Not sure what they go for new up here but someone on audiogon has one for $1000 used. Also is selling the amp and dvd player. Anyone know the difference between a dc-1 and mc-1?

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Only did a direct comparison between the Rotel and a Parasound 2500u. I felt the Rotel bested the Parasound, especially in two channel.

Have you considered the Outlaw 950? I wouldn't think that it would stand up with the premium pre-pro's, but, for $899 new, it may be the best bargain out there.

You might find this link helpful, as it compares several pre-pro/amp combinations from some very respected companies. On value/performance, the Rotel combo wins.

Link

The usual discount on the Rotel 1066 is about 10%, which brings it to about $1350. Some dealers won't budge on msrp, whereas others take the price down even lower. The advantages of the newer Rotels is the 200Mhz bandwidth if you were to use video switching, a new remote, and the fact that they now include the cable to connect from a computer to your Rotel for upgrading purposes. Also, you'd end up with the warranty. I'm not sure whether Rotels is transferable or not.

6. gregD

gregD Second Unit

FWIW, Rotel will be rolling out a new upscale pre-pro this summer. It's reasonable to assume many Rotel owners will trade up, likely putting a fair number of used 1066's in the marketplace. Used prices may dip a little around that time.