Possibly a stupid question about symmetry

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Larry*S, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Larry*S

Larry*S Agent

How important is symmetry of a HT room, while watching a movie? (for viewing as well as audio)
    When I say symmetry, Im not only including the specific dimensions of the room, but decor as well.
    If the wall to the left is significantly diff in decor, color... will that be distracting?
    The reason I ask, is Im almost up to the decorating stages of my HT, and I am faced with both options.

The room, when viewing, will be totally dark (no windows, lights..) except the light given off from the front projector.

Am I being too anal?

Just curious,

larry*s

2. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Well Larry, I'm not an expert when it come to the acoustical properties of a room but it would seem to me that sound waves would bounce off objects in a room differently depending on where they are placed. Picture ripples in a pond from a thrown stone and then imagine those ripples in your room. Symmetrically placed objects will cause the ripples to move differently than non-symmetrically placed items. How that affects the actual sound you hear I cannot say for sure but it may cause nulls and peaks in different locations.

As far as aesthetics as concerned...It would drive me crazy to have an "off-balanced" room. [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The left side of my room is totally different from the right. On the right he wall has windows covered in draperies, and the speaker is only a few feet from that wall. On the left there is an open entryway, and a fireplace next to that (brick lower, wood mantle and above), and all that is further away from the left speaker than is the case on the right. I have never heard anything distracting.

Anyone who sets up their gear in a living room, family room, etc, will have this situation; I’ve never heard anyone here complain that it caused problems.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit