Possible volume issue with my Onkyo 898?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Jones, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello,
    I just had someone ask me a question about my receiver and the fact that I didn't have an answer has me asking if there is a possible problem with the unit. I don't think there is...but maybe.
    I have the volume control set to absolute where 0 is min and 100 is max. Until I'm in the high 20s to low thirties I get almost no sound. A comfortable listening level is around 40 - 60 and it gets very loud above that.
    Would you consider this behavior normal?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Its not unusual. My Marantz made no sound from -75 dB until about 45 dB or so? As long as your receivers volume is easy to control in the listenable range, and it seems to have lots of reserve volume/power, then you should be ok.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 11, 2001 at 10:23 AM]

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Most knobs are not calibrated to any specific level, and all #s are arbitrary.
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I own the 898 and I think I understand you problem. Two things here, what are your individual channel settings at and where is your Intellivolume at? If you boost these up then you should be hearing a pretty solid output in the 20s.
    Also calibrating your speakers will help a lot too.

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

My 696 sould levels perform the same way. There have been several threads here about this issue. Onkyo's sound control is logarithmic, not linear (at least on the lower models). The volume increases more rapidly the higher you turn it up. I'm terrible at explaining it. Maybe someone can articulate this better.
    I'm guessing the 898 is the same?
    P.S. Other than that, how do you like your 898? Mine will be arriving this week. Can't wait!

6. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

It's fantastic. I just remembered something and I I think I made the problem worse during setup. While I was calibrating the levels of all my speakers (yes, I have the radio shack meter [​IMG]) I calibrated them all around 75db and not the suggested 85. Once I fix this the problem should go away.
    Thanks for the help everyone. I love this forum.
    Jeff

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, I think the Marantz volume control works the same way.
    Logarithmic is a good explaination, since the readout is in dB's [​IMG]