Possible virus? Need opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I noticed a few minutes ago that I have about 5gb less space on my drive than I did this morning. I got to checking folders and found a file located at

C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsTemp~vis0000

called vise32ex.dll. That file is 5.22gb in size which would account for my missing space.

Is there anything in this temp folder that needs to be there? Am I safe deleting the file?

I will say that I had a Norton's virus alert (the program is up to date) saying that the W32.Pinfi virus had been found in a file I had just downloaded from Kazaa, but it said that it repaired the file.

Any ideas?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Some installers such as the one for Quicktime will create ~vis0000 files/folders in your temp folder. You can safely delete it, assuming you're not running anything.

I've seen files in Temp get huge for no apparent reason. Of course, if you're doing video editing on the PC it can create huge files. As long as you aren't actively running something you can safely delete everything in temp.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the virus you downloaded. After all you said Norton took care of it for you.

KJP

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

No DLL needs to be that big. If you search groups.google.com, some other people have the same problem.

It's part of a program called Installer Vise. It could be a bug on their side. Have you installed anything lately?

If all your applications are closed, you should be able to safely empty out the entire "Local Settings/Temp" directory -- leave the directory there. In fact, you might try running the Disk Cleanup Wizard (under Accessories | System Tools) and see if it does that for you.

//Ken

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Thanks. I emptied the entire folder and have seen no ill effects.

It was just weird that the huge .dll file was created about the same time that the virus warning came up.