What's new

Possible video dropout on KD-34XBR2? (1 Viewer)

I've had my KD-34XBR2 for about one week now, and I've tried to play several DVDs (Freeway, The Pledge, Terminator 2, Leon: The Professional) on it using my Toshiba SD-3109 (connected via component) since it arrived. However, on two DVDs, Enemy of the Gates and Thirteen Days (TD), I've noticed some picture irregularities. On Enemy at the Gates, there was one scene where for a split second the picture looked like it was having a sort of frame dropout or what could be looked upon as a skip of the image. This happened during the middle of the movie and didn't manifest itself again. However, I just finished watching TD and there was a couple of times where the screen seemed to go to black for a split second (almost barely noticeable) and then return to normal. There was also one occasion where the picture seemed to flicker or skip for a brief part of a second. I am using the Cinemotion DRC mode for all of my DVDs, btw, and once again I have only noticed this phenomenon on those two discs. FYI, I did back up to the trouble spot on both discs and the problem did NOT manifest itself again. It should be noted that both discs were rentals, and did have a smudge or two on them. Nevertheless, this problem did not seem to be a typical dirty disc issue. Then again, this is the best TV I've ever owned, and perhaps if it receives faulty data from a bad part on the disc, it will magnify the issue moreso than a regular TV would. Oh, and last but not least, I have not noticed any problems watching DirecTV or regular antenna-based TV in the Cinemotion mode. Does anyone have any ideas on this? For now, I'm just going to hope it was a dirty disc or two, but I would love to hear from other 34XBR2 owners if they've seen this same dilemma.

Ok, I just watched Ghost Dog, and about 3/4 of the way into the movie, there was a scene where the picture seemed to go black again for a split second (frame dropout?). This disc was clean, so I think we can rule out dirty discs as a cause. I have heard that some progressive players have trouble reading from certain discs that have progressive flags set wrong. Since the Cinemotion is basically turning an interlaced image into a progressive one, could bad progressive flags on the disc explain why I see this effect on some discs and not others?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Robert, you mention "progressive" in relation to your Toshiba SD-3109. I have the same player as well as the 34XBR2 although I haven't had a chance to watch a complete DVD yet. It has been my understanding that the Toshiba 3109 is not a progressive player. At the time I bought it others who wanted progressive capability were buying the more expensive model SD-5109.
Until I decided to buy the 34XBR2 I had been planning to upgrade my player to one of the better progressive capable models. That is until I heard reports posted by XBR450 users that they preferred Sony's Cinemotion over their DVD players' progressive setting. If I determine this is the case in my setup I've just saved myself the cost of an unnecessary DVD upgrade.

Oops, perhaps I misrepresented myself. I know that the SD-3109 is an interlaced player. When I refer to progressive, I mean the DRC Cinemotion mode that the 34XBR2 can provide for. I think the Cinemotion is an excellent and cheaper alternative to buying a progressive player, however, external line doublers are never as good as internal ones b/c they have to convert analog back to digital to do the Cinemotion method. Anyway, I just watched A Bridge Too Far, and I noticed the same problem again. This is really upsetting me that I have a $4,000 TV that doesn't work 100% correctly. Granted that this problem is quite minute, the issue still stands. Everyone can rest assured that I'll be on the horn to Sony first thing Tuesday morning to see what they can do for me. In response to an early post, I really don't think it's the player, as I've had it for several years now and never noticed this problem. I also checked the connections, but to no avail.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Robert,
If you strongly suspect that it's the CineMotion DRC which is at fault here, then yes, definitely get the TV checked out.
If possible, borrow another DVD player (preferably a progressive scan capable unit so that you can bypass the DRC) and see if you can repeat the problem. Are the anomalies you mentioned repeatable? If they are, then playing the same disc(s) on another DVD player (progessive or interlaced) will enable you to know if it's the TV or not.
Also, try switching the component connectors to another input and see if the problems persist. Also, try using the S-video and composite inputs as well--I know for a fact that the CineMotion DRC will work even when you have a DVD player connected in this fashion (I have a 36XBR450 and discovered this myself).
All of these experiments hinge on whether the problems you mentioned can be replicated on the same disc(s) and on the same spot(s) on the disc(s).
Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks