Possible Universal tv releases (MV,Airwolf,Equalizer....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd s, Jun 27, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just saw this post from Jorossy in the Miami Vice thread. But, thought it would not be seen by everyone. Of importance besides Miami Vice are the other shows mentioned:
    Here is what Jorossy wrote:

I just read this on miami-vice.org:

I spoke to my contact at Universal Playback in London today. There is a meeting thursday with representitives of all Universal worldwide branches and related copyright people. By the end of it a decision on "Miami Vice" being released on DVD in the future should be made. Universal are hoping to clear all the orignal music for a worldwide release. The costs will be split between the different Universal branches, Universal USA, Universal Uk, Universal Spain etc. If there is a decision not to release it on DVD then it may be a while before the idea is resurrectied. The rough figure for the music clearances is around £1.2 million pounds (roughly $2million dollars). Plans are underway for releases of "Airwolf", "The Equalizer", "Kojak", Knight Rider" etc also. However several shows will require minor music edits. Lets hope this is the start of Universals assualt on the TV DVD market

I think this may mean US releases also. Because aren't some episides of Knight Rider and Airwolf already released on dvd in England?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yes, most of those shows (MV, Airwolf, KR, and I think Kojak) are represented on R2 best-of releases already, with extensive changes to music where appropriate.

I am sure that the discussion is about season sets, with as much of the original music as they can do (hopefully 100%, but the sad truth is that some rightholders may not sell at any price).

3. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

How about they release they shows they've already announced first?

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I hope Equalizer makes it. I don't remember too much mainstream music on the show. I was about to start to record the show on dvd from the Hallmark Channel. But, with the once a week airing. It will take 2 years to get the whole show.

I aggree Jeff. Where are the other shows promised?

6. David Lambert

I third the motion...I want Emergency and Sliders, dammit! [​IMG]

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN
    THE BIONIC WOMAN
    THE INCREDIBLE HULK

8. David Lambert

Steve, to be specific, this isn't about calling on Uni to release show's they've never mentioned before as R1 releases (like the 2 Bionic shows...although I'd kill for them!).

Last year as they annonced Baretta and Law & Order, they also stated that in 2003 we would get Battlestar Galactica, Sliders, Quantum Leap, Earth: Final Conflict (the seasons they own; ADV owns others), Emergency!, Dragnet, Rockford Files, and Magnum P.I.

Of those, only Galactica has been mentioned ever since, probably due to the fact that Universal-affiliated-network The SciFi Channel is putting out a new BG miniseries in December. So an 'entire series' DVD set - which was already authored over a year ago for Australian release and then held over for worldwide release - seems to be a lock.

But the others have faded in the minds of those at Uni. Probably due to the studio's impending sale by European owner Vivendi.

Before everyone gets excited over new possibilities, Jeff and Todd and I would just like to see them get the "old 8" out on DVD. Some of those I'm VERY hungry for (I just named a couple of 'em earlier; I actually want almst all of them).

9. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

I bet we will hear very soon about hulk season sets, since the new movie is doing good box office, not to mention even better box office overseas ! I bet its announced before the end of the summer !!![​IMG]

10. David Brent

David Brent Stunt Coordinator

I know the online community isn't necessarily representative of the population at large but I'm very pleasantly surprised at the numbers who appear to have picked up the Hulk TV pilot.

Hopefully its success will spur Universal into action on its other TV products, including all the aforementioned series and other classic, endlessly watchable shows such as Quincy, Ironside, etc..

I just hope Universal realises the demand for complete season-by-season sets, as I can't help but feel that the "Best of" formats they're using here in the UK are pretty worthless past the first volume.

David

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I would love season sets of Knight Rider! [​IMG]

12. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

When Sliders and Quantum Leap were mentioned last year, I was ecstatic. I really wish Universal would get around to actually doing these releases.

13. Rob Spay

Rob Spay Auditioning

Hey! How about BJ And The Bear! Bring Back Sheriff Lobo!

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Aside from Battlestar Galactica, what I want most from Universal is Northern Exposure. Yes, this has music issues too, but it also has a pretty sizeable and devoted following. We need a campaign for Cicily on DVD.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I would agree with Jeff and David, but Airwolf trumps 'em all! Release that in lieu of the previously-announced 8. :p) Just kidding, as I was really looking forward to Emergency and Quantum Leap. But, Airwolf . . . that and the A-Team would be incredible.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
  17. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl

18. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

I have both the Universal Playback R2 releases of MIAMI VICE, and I must confess: The music is EXACTLY THE SAME AS WHEN THE SHOWS ORIGINALLY AIRED. It was actually a pleasure to see the Calderone two-parter and the Castillo two-parter in their original uncut form.

Now, if they actually release MV on DVD (even if only the first and best season), I would hope they would have a separate audio track for Jan Hammer's music...

19. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

That was my post. My contact is in london. I'm also from the UK hence I'm talking about UK releases. "Miami Vice" would possiably be a worldwide release to keep costs down on the music. The music hasn't been touched for the volumes of Universal TV shows already released in the uk. The shows that will require minor music edits for there possiable UK release are "Knight Rider", "Airwolf" and "The Equalizer".
    [​IMG]

20. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>I third the motion...I want Emergency and Sliders, dammit!>>

Well, at least the first two seasons of Sliders, however. IF they ever get around to that long rumored Sliders Theatrical movie, I hope they clear up all the shite that is Seasons 3-5. The 'Quinn from another dimension', 'I have a brother?', 'Merging of the two Quinns', and 'Death of the Proffesor' bits. There's an easy way to do it too, so long as they cover their tracks nicley and make sure that this new history can't be undone just as easilly. All based on a Season 2 plot with the Kromaggs [​IMG].

But yeah, bring on Knight Rider Season sets with Hasselhodd and 'KITT' commentary. Yes, I said KITT commentary, not the actor that portrayed him [​IMG]..