What's new

Possible to use TiVo w/o Subscription? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Croft

Auditioning
I'm new to the whole Digital Recorder thing. Am looking into TiVo.
I'm curious...is it possible to use the unit (probably the Sony standalone one, without the DirecTV built in) withouth a subscription to the TiVo service?
I don't have a big beef with programming the thing like a VCR if it saves me money. Is this sort of operation possible with the units?
Thanks so much in advance!
Jeff Croft

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Yes
And it is easier than programming most VCR's. You would also be able to watch a previously recorded program while it's recording another. Or, watch a program you are recording from the begining, while it is still recording. Also, pausing live TV, very handy when watching a sporting event.
However, some of the other features such as season passes and scheduling make the units well worth the extra money spent on the subscription.
I own two units and never regret paying for two subscriptions. I could not imagine going back to using a VCR.
Frank
tivo.gif

Jeff Croft

Auditioning
Thanks so much, Frank!
My idea is that I may go buy the thing early next month (after getting piad), and try it w/o the subscription to see how I like it. Then I can decide wheter or not I need the TiVo subscription. If so, I'll say up the $200 and pay the lifetime way.
Thanks alot!
Jeff

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I won't be the first to point this out, but almost all of the true Tivo functionality is wrapped up in the subscription. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but if you buy a Tivo, you're going to have to budget an extra $200 for the sub.
Without the sub, you lose:
Channel Guide
Season Pass assignment
Software upgrades
Program search
And I don't even know if you can use the Tivo without a sub in the first place.
Digital recording in and of itself is the tip of the iceberg with Tivo. Without the sub, you won't be able to use the Tivo to its fullest. It's like buying a Playstation and using it solely as a CD player. I asked the very same question before the Tivo, and now I embarassed for asking. Take my word and the word of thousands of AVS and HTF users -- get the sub.

Jeff Croft

Auditioning
Like I said, I probably will get the sub. I just wondered if I could buy the unit and add the sub later.
Additionally, it'd be nice to know that if the TiVo service was ever down, I could still use the unit to record TV.
I'm mostly looking at getting the thing to replace my outdated VCR. So I guess my question is...can the Sony DNR do everything my VCR can do, without the TiVo sub?
My plan, as it stands, is the buy the device next month, and probably buy the sub the following month.
Thanks for your advice! You guys are great.
------------------

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Jeff:
Remember, you have 3 subscriptions options with TiVo (as per last month):
1) $9.99 / month
2) $99.00 / year
3) $200.00 / life of your unit (not re-assignable)
Yea, I went with $200 option, but I can appreciate limited funds. If I remember correctly, you get the 1st 10 days or so free, to try out the full functionality. I set everything up and had my unit running on the program guide, before I made the call to sign up.
Just beware ... once you try it, you'll never go back.
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks