Possible to set the HD-A1 to output HDMI audio and component video

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by jeff peterson, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

My receiver has and HDMI input by my HD TV (Toshiba) only has component inputs. I know the A1 has 5.1 analog outs but if I sit on the fence until the A2 comes out; I'm wondering if the current player can be set to output the audio through HDMI while still leaving component video active? Then, I'll assume that will apply to the A2 as well.

Thanks.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Jeff - what model receiver do you have?

3. jeff peterson

I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TX

4. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

That's a tricky one, I suspect that the HD-A1 will not allow both HDMI and Component output at the same time, but its certainly worth a try. Another alternative is to see if your receiver has the ability to convert HDMI back to component.

Otherwise you could always consider using Digital Coax or Optical Audio from the HD-A1.. You would only be missing out on Dolby TrueHD (available over HDMI or analog 5.1).

5. jeff peterson

Thanks for the help, Alon. If I get the HD-A1 I can use the analog 5.1 (my Pioneer does have the inputs). I'm just concerned if I wait to jump on the bandwagon, the HD-A2 doesn't have analog 5.1 outputs only HDMI for TrueHD.

My receiver's manual isn't clear if it will convert HDMI back to component.

6. mfabien

mfabien Stunt Coordinator

Checked the specs of your Pioneer Elite VSX-74TX and it has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I see no interface between HDMI and Component.

As far as I know, HDCP protocol, in establishing a handshake, needs a display at the end of the circuit. It will refuse to end at a repeater (a/v or switchbox are repeaters) and once the signal goes analog, HDCP will block.

Your best bet is to buy an HD-A1 and use the 5.1 multichannel analogs and use Component for video with the hope that the ICT flag will not be used by movie producers. However, you will not have upconversion for SD DVD.

7. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I was under the assumption that this varies by title. If there is analog copy protection (Macrovision) on the HD disc, upconversion is not allowed. Now this may apply to most SD DVDs, at least those from major studios, but not all. If I'm mistaken, can someone please correct? Thanks.

8. mfabien

mfabien Stunt Coordinator

For a SD DVD ripped and copied, the Macrovision protocol is not present and therefore qualifies for Upconversion with Component.

9. jeff peterson

"I'm wondering if the current player can be set to output the audio through HDMI while still leaving component video active?"

Would anyone who has an A1 try this for me?