What's new

Possible to power main speakers with a dif. receiver? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Hi Guys,

Is it at all possible to connect my main speakers to another amplifier and still be possible to connect them to my 5.1 receiver for home theater?

Hmmm....I don't like I was very clear on this. Let me try again. I've heard that underpowering your speakers can be extremely dangerous for fear of clipping them at extremely loud volumes (which I normally listen to). In any event, I have a separate amplifier that came with my main speakers. They are rated at 300 Watts each, and right now my receiver only gives them 100 watts each. Could I power them through the my amplifier and still connect them to my 5.1 receiver to reduce the amount of work-load on it?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
If your receiver has pre outs for the main channels then yes, it can be done. Just connect the right and left pre out to your amp and away you go.
On a second reding I'm not clear on something. When you say you have another amp, you do mean an amp and not another receiver right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.