possible to play dvd's through gps screen?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by KyleCT, Dec 25, 2003.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

this might be a long shot but is it possible to play dvd's through the gps? the gps has a dvd player in the back. (its a 2004 bmw x5). i tried putting a dvd in the gps player and a message came up on the screen saying the dvd was not a valid gps dvd or something like that. is there a way to mod the player so that it plays dvds?

2. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Most OEM GPS units have removed the ability to playback a video source while in motion because of legal issues. In the case of the X5, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to play DVDs from the head unit as it probably lacks DVD video decoding circuitry. (That and I believe that BMW still uses CD-ROM navigation).

That said, look here for BMW Video info:

EDIT: Since I have not met the 15 post minimum for URL parsing, goto

bmwnavigation [dot] com and look in the video section.

Also, Google is your friend. Search for BMW navigation video.

3. San.S

San.S Auditioning

Hi,

First you have to confirm that your navigation system is DVD based and not CD-ROM based.

If it is then you can play the DVDs. As indicated in the earlier post most of the companies disable the playback of the movies when the vehicle is in motion.

I know for sure that in Toyota/Lexus (Landcruiser/LX470) people have been able to tweak the system to playback the movies when the car is in motion. I have also seen people selling some electronics to make this happen on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

4. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

San S:

That's interesting. Are you saying that there are reasonable things I can do to use the GPS screen to play DVD movies? In my case it's an Acura MDX. Please email me any info you can. Thanks!

Also, another point to add to this discussion: The player for the GPS is DVD-ROM, unlike a home DVD player (which does not play DVD-ROM). I don't think the 2 are compatible, unless there are firmware upgrade that we can do to make the car GPS DVD player play commercial DVD movies.