Possible to make dvd-a Compilation disc?

Discussion in 'Music' started by RobBenton, Jan 19, 2004.

1. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I have a dvd burner drive on my computer and was wondering if there is any software that will let you take tracks from different dvd-a discs and burn them onto one?

2. Jurgen Dutch

Jurgen Dutch Auditioning

I would love to be able to do the same. As I own a few music DVD's like Sting - All this time and The Great Waltz, where I just want to record the music in its original quality (without video and without other pieces (interviews ...) between the music.
    I would prefer to be able to put the music on a cd, e.g. a dts-cs.
    It this possible?

Jurgen Dutch

3. neil wilkes

neil wilkes Auditioning

It certainly is.
    For DVD-A you can use Minnetonka audio's discWelder Steel or Chrome. Steel is around $500, Chrome is around $2500.
    Bad news on DTS, as the encoder is $2000.
    If you wish to get serious amounts of music on a single disc, you need Chrome and MLP encoding - another $2500 i'm afraid, but this will let you get 12 hours plus of CDA quality or 8 hours of 24/44.1 on a single disc.
    As an example, I'm at this moment turning the Led Zep boxed set of all 9 studio albums into DVD-A with one album per group. Running in at 24/88.2, and will drop it down to 24/44.1 with MLP encoding for the DVD and all 9 albums fit on one DVD-A disc.
    Yum.
    Email me offlist if there is a comp job you want doing. We can do this to DVD-Audio or DVD-Video, using Dolby Digital or DTS, or from mid february we will also be able to do DVD-A & DVD-V on the same disc. You will have a high resolution version in the Audio_TS and Dolby Digital in the Video_TS.
    As far as ripping from DVD-A to drive, forget it. CPPM is uncracked so far, and I am completely unaware of any DVD-A rippers. The one called "DVD-Audio ripper" is very misleading - it is in reality an "Audio on DVD-Video" ripper, and cannot decode the Audio_TS on DVD-A.
    Jurgen, it sounds like this would do for you though, as your music DVD's sound to me as if they are actually DVD-Video as opposed to DVD-Audio.
    Let me know if you need any help.

4. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Getting high resolution audio from a dvd-audio disc cannot be done right now, as Neil has said. However, most dvd-audio discs have a dts mix and 16/48 stereo mix as well, which can be pulled off. If you want to take the LPCM or the DTS track from a dvd-video or dvd-audio and make a cd or a dts-cd, that is possible and not that hard. I suspect that these things are out of bounds on the board, so we probably shouldn't go any further.

5. Jurgen Dutch

Jurgen Dutch Auditioning

Thank you, both of you,
    I have to think about it.

(I was afraid that it could probably be illegal to do so. (Even to give detailled information.) On the other hand: I am strongly opposed to copying instead of buying any software. But what is going on to fight illegal copying (technological and legally) I am opposed to as well.
    Jurgen Dutch

6. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I may be wrong, but to me, if I buy a dvd-audio disc and it has a 16 bit, 48K stereo mix, I should be able to pull that off and make a cd from it (after resampling to 44.1k). To me that is fair use, just like copying a cd to have in your car so the original isn't scratched. I'm sure the RIAA would disagree, but I have done this with any dvd-audio disc which I don't already own the cd to. I have also pulled the audio off of some of my concert dvd videos, so I can listen to them when/where I want to.

7. neil wilkes

neil wilkes Auditioning

I would not have an issue with transferring stuff from one DVD to another any more than I do with putting Vinyl onto CD. To my mind, I've already paid for this and as long as the backup is for my use only, what is the problem? especially given the rapidity that catalogue material is deleted so quickly. Also, as pointed out, CD's get damaged very easily and we should be able to make our own copies. The current crop of Pseudo CD's that are hobbled & do not play in computer systems is also very bad - my understanding is that these are no longer true CD-Audio, but some kind of bastardized hybrid.
    There is an interesting case going on between the RIAA and the Music publishers at the moment - the publishers are asking for double royalties on these discs that have both Pdeudo CDA & MP3 on them saying it counts as 2 copies. The RIAA used this argument against MP3.com, so they can't really complain even though they are crying foul!
    [​IMG]
    Piracy is a huge problem, but the RIAA are not making any friends by suing their potential customers. Not going any further here, as I do not want to get banned.