What's new

Possible to hook vcr up straight to tv instead of receiver?? (1 Viewer)

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Greg:
I looked at the online manual for the RX-V1000 just to be sure its the same as my RX-V995 and it is. These won't switch between s-video and composite video, so if you have composite in/out to the vcr, you will only be able to see any source from the receiver that uses a composite video input. Same going to the tv. If the source signal is s-video, the output will be s-video. If the source is composite, the output will be the composite video. Your receiver also has automatic priority signal selection, so if you run both s-video and composite video to the same input, it will automatically select the best signal (component, s-video, composite video, in that order.)
So, either replace the vcr with one that has s-video in/out or get a couple of those composite to s-video adaptors (with a small quality loss due to the adaptor, I'd imagine.)
My VCR does better video switching than my receiver does. Supposedly, it will even switch s-video with the thing off if you enable it in one of the menus. Overkill? Probably, but it could come in useful at some point if they ever start beaming hdtv via sat to Hawaii. For now, my big mitsu widescreen has plenty of inputs. I don't use my receiver for video switching. The vcr is also a mitsu, which makes controlling it from the tv (with a serial cable) much easier.
My wiring currently looks like this.
dvd component video out -> tv dvd component in
dvd audio digital coax out -> receiver dvd digital in
cd changer optical out -> receiver cd optical in
cd changer l+r audio -> receiver cd audio l+r in
cable coax -> cable box -> vcr ant in/out -> tv antenna A
vcr s-video + audio l+r out 1 -> tv s-video + audio l+r input 1
vcr audio l+r out 2 (driven in parallel) -> receiver vcr audio l+r in
tv control out (mini-din serial cable) -> vcr control in
If you have satelite, you probably want a vcr with more than one s-video + audio inputs, with switching, if you do it this way. Of course at that point, if everything is s-video, you can go back to switching via the receiver.
(I can't remember if I wired the analog dvd audio out to the receiver or not. I don't think I need them for the cd changer or the dvd player, since the receiver decodes the pcm stream directly.)
-David
PS: I also have a video cable run from the receiver monitor out to a spare input (input 2?) on the tv, in case I ever need the on-screen display from the receiver, but I never use it.
Also, there's lots of ways to skin this cat. I do it this way because it works best for my family and I have a tv with reasonable speakers for listening to crappy cable tv and normal vcr audio. (They have a one button solution for tv and vcr without needing something like a pronto.) Also, for regular tv, my personal preference is to listen to it via the tv speakers.
It took a long time to teach my wife how to watch and listen to a dvd, and she still doesn't understand that she needs to check the audio options on the dvd menus to make sure she's selecting the best possible audio track. :) Even still, I sometimes come back from business trips to find that somebody changed the aspect ratio control on the dvd player. All they have to do is press the format button on the tv remote. My dvd players aspect control (buried in the dvd players setup menu) is just used to tell the dvd player that I have a widescreen tv. You set it once and forget it.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:

Yes, you would need one for each direction. The adaptor was a good suggestion.

-David

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Mike & David,

Monster also has an adapter. However, its a bit pricey. I

paid about $100.00. Also, I noticed, at the Radio Shack

web site, they have a $50.00 converter, that converts

both the composite video to S-Video, and analog stereo

audio to digital optical. I find this interesting, because

in a few short years, it will all be digital.

For simplicity, I have my cable TV service connected to my

VCR. My VCR (via S-Video converter & analog audio),

CD (via fiber), DVD via fiber & S-Video), and tape deck

(via analog audio), are all connected to the receiver. The

TV, is used as a video monitor only (via S-Video),

and all audio is through the receiver outputs.

My set-up is very wife-friendly.

JRS

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
One for each direction. Thanks David.

Jim_Stu, Wife friendly?? I didn't know there was such a thing. Mine prefers to watch TV in the bedroom where I have a basic antenna and 5 channels because it is easier to use.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Thanks David and Micheal

I think I will get a converter as cheap as I can as I use my receiver basically to tape shows like Everbody Loves Raymond and what not, its low quality.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Mike:

If the only recording (on your VCR) that you do is off of cable, you don't need to hook up both inputs and outputs between your VCR and Receiver. When I had my first HT I did the same thing, and then I realized I only needed it hooked up one way to the receiver.

Coax Cable from Cable Company > VCR Coax Input > VCR A/V Outputs > Receiver VCR AV Inputs.

This hookup allows VCR playback thru the receiver. Now, If you will make VCR recordings from sources other than your Cable, then you should run the other VCRReceiver connections as well.

Rich B.

AbelM

Second Unit
NOw correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think you could run a DVD player into a vcr, since there is some type of distraction source, so that you can't record DVD's onto Tape? Am I wrong?

*Runs and Hides*

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Abel:

I would love to answer your question, but I believe that discussing the duplication of DVD's is prohibited on this Forum.

Rich B.

PaulKH

Second Unit
AbelM - yes, normal DVD players support macrovision so you can't record DVD content onto your VCR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks